Rear axle is soaked, need help...
12-07-2019, (Subject: Rear axle is soaked, need help... ) 
RE: Rear axle is soaked, need help...
Engine work is easy... Driveline, not so much... As far as I know the seal is original, over 1 million miles...

I'm taking it in, need a 2+ inch socket, called everywhere, no luck, all said they could order, be here Thursday, Amazon Prime, Monday night Tuesday... And I thought about that tow bill too, this is a residential house, I am no longer out in the country, something goes wrong... This isn't a simple front cover removal, overhead or axle seal, or even the air compressor, this is a bit out of my league right now with the weather and needing to get to work. Spring, Summer or Fall, money in the bank, the time, I would tackle this.

I have the parts, seal $74, lock nut $15 and washer $4... Hopefully I can get this wrapped up pretty quick at the shop, he said be there at 0730 Monday and they would get me in...

On the parts, the dealer wanted $60 for that lock nut, same Meritor I picked up at FleetPride for $15. But, the dealer was $5 cheaper on the same Meritor seal, which FleetPride was out of stock. So, it pays to shop around.

I'll get out there tomorrow, supposed to be in the 40's, around 25 right now, and wash that pig off with some gasoline, water and Dawn... The drive up to the shop should be the tell as far as where it is leaking, just in case it is the RTV on the pig or the case cracked. But, from the looks of things, the way the oil flows away from that dust cap evenly on both sides, I would say it is the seal.

And I just winterized the plumbing too... GRRRRRRRRRRR!
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rear axle is soaked, need help... - Unilevers - 12-06-2019,
RE: Rear axle is soaked, need help... - Waterloo - 12-07-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.