Valvoline Premium Blue
02-16-2020, (Subject: Valvoline Premium Blue ) 
RE: Valvoline Premium Blue
(02-16-2020 )schISM Wrote:  ...
Hey Rawze, my point intended was not the gradual decline of wear metals, though some might be interested in how long it takes for new trucks to break in, but of different oils being able to keep the inside of the engine cleaner than others. My understanding of the TBN of any given oil is the ability to retain the additive package that’s depleted over time or degradation due to the engines operating conditions. If you have a higher TBN at the end of a standardized maintenance schedule then that oil should be in theory a better choice. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t believe the amount of wear metals affects the depletion of any oils additives package. As far as what oil gives better wear protection it’s my opinion that as soon as the actual oil starts flowing and has formed a hydrodynamic wedge between whatever surface it’s lubricating there is absolutely zero, zilch, nada difference in oils. Nothing. Expensive synthetics or cheapo minerals, as long as it’s being pumped throughout the engine lubricates the same and that’s why I only run synthetic in the winter. Approximately 3 oil changes in the winter months at an increase of $53.60 per change for synthetic is in the budget. As far as a webasto or other preheater I don’t think the ROI constitutes the expenditure. And just a quick word to the wise I wouldn’t suggest anyone shoving a nippco heater or the likes up under your Paccar powered truck to preheat it you might find your plastic oil pan isn’t too tolerant of it.

Thanks for the clarification. You are somewhat right about the TBN alone,.. I looked at the whole thing (as a lot of people might do) I suppose and saw huge jumps in iron and other wear and could see that something was amiss .. After that, the beer took over.

As far as TBN vs new engine, would depend on how much residual solvents, etc. may still be present in the block/head, but it is far less effected (like you say, additive package) than the rest.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM

Messages In This Thread
RE: Valvoline Premium Blue - Rawze - 02-16-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.