DD15 liner? Need someone to offer a good explanation!
03-11-2020, (Subject: DD15 liner? Need someone to offer a good explanation! ) 
DD15 liner? Need someone to offer a good explanation!
I will snap a couple more pictures tomorrow, but this is a liner out of a dd15. The cylinder imbalance logic actually detected an imbalance in this cylinder. The marks do not make any sense. They go in the circular motion of the liner. Almost as if they were in there from the factory. After watching some videos of the assembly process it is hard to believe it would have come from that and passed tech inspection, but it does not make logical sense in my mind for the marks to have come while running. They are about 3 inches in total height, if the piston was at BDC, the marks would extend down to the piston skirt about 1 inch, and almost to the top of the piston but not above it. You can feel these grooves with your finger or fingernail, with a snap gauge the liner measure in spec and the same as cylinder #1. The failure was on #6 cylinder. No definitive damage to the piston, but there are 1 or 2 faint Mark's in the piston skirt similar but not the same as the liner. No more or less carbon deposits on this one than any other liners. No damage to rod or main bearings. Shiny metallic deposits was in the oil filter housing, but an oil sample said there was no evidence of high traces in oil pan. Not sure if the filter just did a great job or I'm losing my mind/overthinking this issue. The truck is a 2016 cascadia with about 580k mile on it, Pulls flatbeds out of Charleston sc to places all over us, so loads vary all the time. Let me know what you guys think. There is alot of knowledgeable people on here! Thank you for all you do!      
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic

Messages In This Thread
DD15 liner? Need someone to offer a good explanation! - HotRod - 03-11-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.