vibration damper thoughts
10-26-2021, (Subject: vibration damper thoughts ) 
RE: vibration damper thoughts
(10-26-2021 )SquareOne Wrote:  -<snip>-
- If I'm understanding correctly, the fluid inside the damper hardens, therefore it becomes ineffective. Cummins maintenance calls for a 500k replacement, but my question is does the fluid harden because of use or does it have a shelf life? This part I just received for example appears to have been on the shelf for nearly 5yrs according to the stock tag. Would that shorten it's effective lifespan even though it hasn't been installed?

The properties of the fluid cause it to harden from the vibration cycles over time, thus the operational shelf life.
To the best of my knowledge, parts shelf storage life doesn't affect it. This assumption is based on manufacturer's specifying a mileage (hours on a stationary engine) replacement, not a mileage/time service interval.

Theses things get very hot dampening the vibrations, it is the heat cycles on the fluid that determines the service interval.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , SquareOne

Messages In This Thread
RE: vibration damper thoughts - Hammerhead - 10-26-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.