CM871 kickin my Butt
07-28-2020, (Subject: CM871 kickin my Butt ) 
RE: CM871 kickin my Butt
(07-27-2020 )RustyWood Wrote:  Well here I am still waiting, (weeks now) for my Cam Wedges and Crank Pin to get here. According to procedure I must have them in place and they must remain in place before removing Cam Gears to get my Head off.

There's information on backing off the Cam Scissor Gear bolts, I haven't taken outer cap off yet to see if that's what mine are, but there's no explanation as to why this design was used?

Hey Rawze, was this to unload pressures between the Gears ? I'm trying to understand why the heck these truck Cams wouldn't just have straight gears, since you know these so well, maybe you can explain the purpose to Cummins using Scissor Gears ?

I suspect I have the original Balancer, so I think I'll be ordering one of those as well.
Do you recommend replacing the Cam and Crank Position sensors since I have it this far stripped?

Thanks,
Russ

First of all, I don't see any scissor gears. The pic shows you only have straight gears. There is nothing to worry about with that.

NEXT:...
./uploads/202007/post_2_1595919154_ffd902114bac6b89853ae0e146b21bf1.jpg

you have the old style cam gear retaining plate. Those were prone to failure and yours should be thrown away once it is removed, and replaced with the flat (newer) style. Otherwise, you are risking a gear train failure.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid23329

ALSO: it looks like you have removed all the rockers and rocker shafts. There is nothing stopping you from removing the 2 top gears (for the overhead cams) and the cams, and then the head. -- you only need the wedge kit to re-assemble the engine, not to take it apart.

BTW: here is a wedge kit + gear puller... Looks like this one would work just fine: https://amzn.to/2X2HAmE

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

Messages In This Thread
RE: CM871 kickin my Butt - Rawze - 07-28-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.