New truck new blog.
06-12-2020, (Subject: New truck new blog. ) 
RE: New truck new blog.
5.9 mpg is absolutely horrible fuel mileage for that lane on dry-van/reefer freight. And at the speeds your running, you are going to run that truck into the ground and those roads are going to beat it to death. - Just My own opinion.

Here are some numbers to strive towards in those regions with the freight type and weights you are hauling. I haul the same type of freights thru that region... I also haul a different trailer every time, as the company I am leased onto has more than 4,000 of them... Some trailers are good with skirts etc, some not so good.

============
That area of the country has some of the lowest fuel averages for me and my truck. understandable so, as the wind fights you heading west and the mountains + extreme cold in winter are not forgiving on fuel consumption.

BUT... We still do not do so bad. My lifetime fuel mileage (1.4 million miles collected data) ...

heading east....
headed east, fuel stops show: Wyoming to Illinois = 8.885 mpg hauling same type of freight. Wa to Wyoming = 7.3 mpg. Oregon to Wyoming = 7.98.
- Roughly totals up to avg. lifetime of ~8.05 mpg going from Or or Wa to illinois.

Heading west...
Illinois to Nebraska = 7.67 mpg, Iowa to Wyoming = 7.38, Indianna to Utah = 7.8 mpg, Wyoming to Utah = 7.78, Illinois to Iowa = 9.06, Idaho to oregon = 8.15, Wyoming to Oregon 7.948
- Roughly totals up to avg. lifetime of ~7.96 mpg going from Illinois to Or. or Wa. state.

What i posted is the rough averages ... All the numbers will be slightly higher in summer and slightly lower in the winter. This is for 2 reasons. The fuel quality goes down in winter, and the dense air and cold in winter is much harder for your truck to push through.

===========

Maybe that will give you some idea of what can be achieved with a little extra effort, keeping speeds down while still making deliveries, and not beating the snout out of your equipment in those regions. - Keep running that 70+ and in a few years you will see it is costing you a lot more than just fuel mileage. Slowing down, re-programming that engine torque to about 1720 or so max, using the HP instead of the torque (higher rpm's) + driving by boost gauge when heavy and especially when climbing any hills, and learning to run in neutral as much as absolutely possible is the key. -- Oh, and we avoid fuelling in Ogden Utah at the Flying-j/pilots ... Every time I have ever fuelled there, I got shorted a few gallons vs. what I paid for. Never had an issue north of Willard,UT though so we just fuel there instead whenever we need fuel in that region.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792

Messages In This Thread
RE: New truck new blog. - Rawze - 06-12-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.