ISX and DD15 Valve Trains...
06-13-2020, (Subject: ISX and DD15 Valve Trains... ) 
RE: ISX and DD15 Valve Trains...
Well, I don't own a Detroit, but have been in the plant in Redford MI where they build them, and in the bar across the street where the workers hang out from the plant. I have talked to more than a few of the guys that work there, the motors they make are no longer the quality they are used to building. They recommended not purchasing due to quality and assembly issues, like the cam shafts with the pressed on lobes. And seeing how much plastic is on these motors honesty blew my mind. Even the oil pans are now plastic, seriously?

With the ISX, I can at least work on the motor, an Inline reader and a copy of Insite, along with a free subscription to Cummins Quickserve... If you wrench and do not have access to thousands of dollars in software and manuals, Cummins is the only way to go.

Rawze helped me in frame my CM-871 in his driveway... I used my iPhone and a bag of tools I brought along. Rawze was there to cut the block, help set the head and pistons, the rest was on me where two sets of hands were not required along with a kick in the arse a few times. None of that would have happened if I had one of these new Detroit, PACCCAR, etc., motors.

Just my .02 as an owner that really does work on his truck. And yes, plenty of steel and iron on the ISX, the front structure is about the only place you need to watch yourself. Be gentle and all will be good, no rattle guns, stick to hand tools and you should have no issues. If not, Heli-Coil to the rescue! I will stick with the ISX for the main reason the diagnostics and tools are readily available, that is the only reason, I am not a fanboy of any of these EPA motors. Give me a reliable old Series 60 or 6NZ Cat and I would be more than happy.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BigRed6

Messages In This Thread
RE: ISX and DD15 Valve Trains... - Waterloo - 06-13-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.