New 300 AMP Alternator $$$
07-06-2020, (Subject: New 300 AMP Alternator $$$ ) 
New 300 AMP Alternator $$$
Well, I pulled that puking little Delco 165 Amp alternator off the ProStar with the 600hp CM-871, and installed a Delco 40si 300 amp unit. I ran all new cables, 1/0, both power and ground direct to the battery box. I left the other wiring intact, the ground to the block and the power to the starter. A bit busy under the hood, but split loom and zip ties, it doesn't look too bad.

One thing, I did not know that my interior and dash lights could be so bright! That is the new cable, the old cable was not replaced when I did everything out from the battery box. The truck is actually running better, it felt like a supercharger under the hood. And yes, the new alternator, should call it a generator, is noticeable, as in you can hear it. What I could not get over was how much more responsive the motor is, it actually felt like it suddenly gained 50 more HP. I have to wonder how this will affect my fuel mileage.

As far as fit, it is a pretty big alternator, and it just squeezed in there, it used the outer pad mount bolt holes, and the cables just cleared the fresh air intake to the turbo. The belt lined up nicely, but I think that needs to be replaced with something beefier as Rawze recommended in a previous thread.

The kicker, is the price, $1165 at FleetPride out the door... OUCH! Plus 34 feet of 1/0 cable, shop it, as it can be expensive if bought locally. I purchased 30 feet, I thought that was enough, but I missed it, I needed 4 more feet, which thankfully I had. Instead of using lugs and a bolt, FleetPride had a union for $3... I grabbed a section of 1/0 I had laying around and I had a ground cable. From the alternator to the battery box, at least on my 244" ProStar is 17 feet. Figure 18 and you should be good.

We shall see how this goes, truck is running like a raped ape, waiting for LandStar to call... Going back out there. Three weeks on this new job, and all I have gotten in the bank account is nothing, just covering fuel. My fuel expenses are less than what I figured, but the work is sketchy, and hauling freight for free is not in the cards, especially for GM... I walked away... Waiting on LandStar.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55 , BIASRacing

Messages In This Thread
New 300 AMP Alternator $$$ - Waterloo - 07-06-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.