Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions
07-12-2020, (Subject: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions ) 
Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions
Ok, got a bunch of small, random questions, figured I'd drop them all in one thread. Maybe others can benefit from the information too. Trying to think of and ask questions now, before I start taking things apart. In no particular order:

(2012 Pete 587 cm2250)

* Doing my own oil/filter change and lube job for the first time soon. Just wondering what tools or supplies I might need. (Besides oil/filters/grease and buckets!) Either required items or things/tools that others have found handy or useful.

* Whats the consensus? Prefill oil and/or fuel filters or not? I know it's been discussed before, but my memory is fuzzy.

* Planning to drop the oil pan, inspect the bottom end, clean up and repaint the pan. Do I need a new, replacement gasket or is it a reusable gasket?

* What things should I look for while the pan is down?

* I want to add temp sensors/gauges for both diffs and the tranny. why? because I don't like guessing and want to make sure I can catch any potential problems before they get bad. So, suggestions for brands of gauges and locations to install them on the diffs/trans? i saw glowshift has a few combo gauges that might work nicely to save space.

* I'm replacing my front (steer) springs (yes, new u-bolts too). Looks pretty simple. Any tips, tricks or videos to help out? They are unpainted, anybody have preferences on paint to use? I have some generic chassis black spray paint laying around.

* Front (steer) shocks are almost 2 years old, no signs of oil leaks. They do need new bushings, which I have. Should I just replace the shocks when I do the springs or just do the bushings? What's the typical lifespan? I don't have a lot of spare money (saving up for an inframe), but if they're due to be replaced soon then now would be the time.

* Oil pressure sensor: It's very hard to see, but it appears I'm leaking oil from the oil pressure sensor. Nothing is hitting the ground, but the starter looks pretty wet, which is how I noticed it. Does this need to be replaced while the oil is drained or can it be done at any time? Also, how the !@#$ do you get back there without removing (in my case) the davco, the fuel filter, the ECM, a ton of wires and, in a perfect world, I'd move the frame rail too! (yeah, I know, thats not gonna happen ;) )

I'm sure there's other things I'm forgetting...

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions - JimT - 07-12-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.