CM871 oil pump pickup tube screen
08-15-2020, (Subject: CM871 oil pump pickup tube screen ) 
RE: CM871 oil pump pickup tube screen
I spot welded it back in place. I've added pictures. I decided to take the pick up tube off my cm870 and I added some tack welds to it too. If you do this, come in directly from the side and tack it at the joint where the tube and the screen meet. If you come in from the top of the screen you risk burning a bigger hole in the screen. I had the tube off the truck when welding it also.

Im also swapping oil pans from my old cm870 to the newer cm871. The oil pan on the 870 is updated and comes with multiple drains including the upper (rear) plug. So while I'm at it, they both got corrasealed and por15. Wow do they rust bad. This well worth doing im sure.

The one on the left is the updated pan with all the plugs. There is always about a quart or 2 of oil in that upper (rear) plug when im changing oil.

Also when I put dimes in the oil pump I ran across a great conversion here on the forum of what to do and what not to do and what happens if you screw up. This is the start of the conversation http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid25554
This is where Unilevers clarifies what to do if your doing it with the pump still on the truck. http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid25634
Its worth the read of the OP whole conversation he went through hell with that truck.
Also I replaced the cotter pin holding the regulator plunger in. I noticed if you don't take the time to bend the cotter pin till it touches the pump and doesnt spin in its hole it could possibly vibrate and spin until it cuts the pin. Then you're in for a world of crap if it all comes apart. If I were anyone doing this I'd make sure its secured.

I threw 6 dimes in. My before oil pressure hot
with a gallon of 80/90 gear oil was 17.5 at idle and 35.5-36.5 going down the road and bumped up to 1000 rpm it was 25ish. I'll update after I get it all back together.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard , Nostalgic , Roysbigtoys , hookliftpete , Waterloo

Messages In This Thread
RE: CM871 oil pump pickup tube screen - Chamberpains - 08-15-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.