Leaking output shaft seal
08-22-2020, (Subject: Leaking output shaft seal ) 
RE: Leaking output shaft seal
Meanwhile: it is not a terrible job, but you will definitely need a large impact or as stated above a torque multiplier. Also a yoke puller makes the job a lot easier.

***However, are you positive that it is actually leaking?? What kind of rear end is it? I have meritor MT40’s. I downloaded the service manual when I replaced mine and the first few pages were dedicated to determining if a slightly wet spot around the seal indicates a leak. On a meritor rear end the input and output shaft seals come from the factory with a red grease in lines on the inner diameter of the seal. At some point in the life of the seal it will get warm enough to melt the grease and it can look very much like a leak.

The jist from the Meritor manual was it is not a leak until an oil trail can be observed running down from the seal. Slightly wet around seal or damp is probably just the melting grease.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Meanwhile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Leaking output shaft seal - JMBT - 08-22-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.