KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air
10-17-2020, (Subject: KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air ) 
RE: KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air
(10-16-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I crawled under and snapped a couple shots. The hangers that come with the kit are pretty flimsy so I doubled them up. After installing the lines and a hose clamp it was fairly solid.

I chose the back of the transmission as the mounting spot because thats exactly where they were for the longest time in the 90's and 2000's. I imagine they started putting them up front in front of the radiator when manufacturers started cramming thing in tighter and more stuff under the truck. But on this t660 there was plenty of room for it there. I also never liked having 20 or more feet of hose running up to the front of the truck and back. Less spots for it to fail this way.

Also Mr. Hagg's suggestion to use diesel to flush the transmission worked fairly well. I put a gallon or so in the case and fired the truck off for 30 or so seconds then drained and blew out the transmission. Then I filled it with cheap gear lube and ran a short run (200 miles) and then came back and drained that stuff to make sure I got most if the contamination out. Then filled with synthetic 75w90. I did another short run today (250 miles) and the temp gauge never moved off 150°. Where as before with the coolant circulation it kept it consistently at engine operating temps.

I'm pleased with the whole process. And if those hangers fail I can simply fabricate sturdier brackets out of scrap steel or aluminum.

Those mounting straps need to be 90's angle iron ... otherwise they are not going to last long as fatigue from vibration is going to set in. If you can wiggle it .. even a little bit .. its going to break and drop down when you least want it to.

Also the first rock that hits it at speed is going to go right thru those fins. It needs a heavy-wire protective screen or some cheese grating (plate with lots of holes in it) on the front side.

just giving my own thoughts on it any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
RE: KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air - Rawze - 10-17-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.