OTHER ENGINES
07-31-2016, (Subject: OTHER ENGINES ) 
OTHER ENGINES
Most on here know of the problems with the ISX, but what about Detroit? Got a buddy who knows a lady whose husband passed away, and has a Freightliner with 15 litre Detroit. What probs do they have? Do the cams and head give problems like Cummins? Do they see major engine wear at 500,000 or so like Cummins? Are DPF DEF systems harder, or easier to service? Can they be mandated with success like ISX? I am on my second Cm871. Like has been said many times on here when buying used truck in 5 to 600,000 mile range it most likely has some major internal problems. My truck now has 700,000 and had the mandate done around 580,000. Cam was showing lots of wear then. Head has not been replaced, so Im in the boat along with a lot of others on here. With a head, cam, and an inframe, looking at a pretty good chunk of change. I have spent a lot f money getting the truck in shape and now I know its sink another 10 to 15 grand in it to get the engine in shape. Man what a difference from the old style trucks. I know that starts a whole new argument there, but Im beginning to wonder if its really worth it. I understand that when the ISX is right they are great motors, but buying a used one and getting it right is a lot of $$$. Had an 02 Volvo with ISX and 1.2 million on it with no major engine repairs. Had 05 International bought brand new and put over 600,000 on it and had no major engine repairs. Have had several 12.7 litre Detroits that had well over 500,000 when we got them and seemed like they would last forever. Last 12.7 I drove avg 6.7 mpg running 65-70 with cruise. Now how much better mileage would it have gotten driving the Rawze style? Guess it just comes down to LUCK when you buy these big company turn ins. A lot of guys enjoy working on there trucks, its there hobby. Its not mine. I drive 3000 plus miles every week and when I get time off I don't want to spend it working on my truck. I do all regular maintenance and I don't care what nobody says there is a ton more regular stuff to be done than I there used to be. Used to be a truck had 500,00 on it you could go to the bank and borrow the money to buy it, go to work and keep it maintained and pay off the truck and still have something, and have enough put back for an in frame, not anymore. My first DPF truck was a 2010 Volvo. Bought used and it had 922,00 on it when I traded it with head or head gasket issues. DPF still intact. Now it damn near broke me keeping the cel off and that's when I found this forum and Rawze. Well I traded it to a 10 Prostar with a lil over around 550,000 and went to South Ga soon after. Truck is paid for, but I done put over $12,000 in it in the last 8 months. All new tires, all new brakes and drums, turbo, all new shocks, new AC compressor on and on. That's just parts, done all the labor myself. Got the truck in decent shape, but wonder everyday, when the heads gonna go. Got a injector leaking. So its a head, cam injector or 2, overhaul kit, or buy this Freightliner with a Detroit and see whats up with the new Detroits. Long story short, I know the problems and ins and outs of Cummins would love to hear the ins and outs of Detroits, and even the new Volvo motors. Got my flame suit on and bullet proof vest so bring it on. Love to hear what you guys think about em. Thanks Rawze and everyone else for all the help.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
OTHER ENGINES - axe - 07-31-2016
RE: OTHER ENGINES - Waterloo - 07-31-2016,
RE: OTHER ENGINES - Brock - 07-31-2016,
RE: OTHER ENGINES - axe - 08-01-2016,
RE: OTHER ENGINES - Waterloo - 08-01-2016,
RE: OTHER ENGINES - Billdozer2 - 07-31-2016,
RE: OTHER ENGINES - in2trux - 07-31-2016,
RE: OTHER ENGINES - axe - 07-31-2016,
RE: OTHER ENGINES - hhow55 - 08-01-2016,
RE: OTHER ENGINES - in2trux - 08-01-2016,
RE: OTHER ENGINES - kmk - 08-01-2016,
RE: OTHER ENGINES - Hedley - 08-02-2016,
RE: OTHER ENGINES - axe - 08-03-2016,
RE: OTHER ENGINES - in2trux - 08-02-2016,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.