Manual Steering
02-25-2021, (Subject: Manual Steering ) 
RE: Manual Steering
I modify all my power steering pumps by drilling out the brass plug or flow control plug on the pressure side of the pump, it is not pressure but volume that makes the truck harder or easier to steer. You can have a few different problems but an increase in flow will make it steer easier if the rest of the power steering system is working correctly. back in the day trucks with power steering from the mid 1980 and prior you could steer with one finger now the powers that be decided we needed more resistance for our safety. It is also posable that the wrong pump was installed at some point.
If you want to try drilling out the plug do it in small steps no more than 1/16 of an inch at a time, use the back of a drill bit to determine the size of the orifice then drill out 1/16 bigger, you will probably find the orifice to be less than 3/16 remember the bigger you go the smaller the step in size as the volume will increase exponentially, I don't even remove the pump I just flush the pump by adding fluid to the reservoir and use a small brush to clean the hole and debur and do my first flush with carburetor cleaner it quickly flushes the shavings from the front drill side then power steering fluid from the reservoir.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , smorgan87

Messages In This Thread
Manual Steering - Hermjeji - 02-24-2021,
RE: Manual Steering - tree98 - 02-24-2021,
RE: Manual Steering - Rawze - 02-24-2021,
RE: Manual Steering - DVT873 - 02-24-2021,
RE: Manual Steering - arch_stanton - 02-25-2021
RE: Manual Steering - tree98 - 02-25-2021,
RE: Manual Steering - Tanker93 - 02-25-2021,
RE: Manual Steering - Hermjeji - 02-25-2021,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.