Catastrophic Gasket Failure... ISX Air Compressor
03-31-2021, (Subject: Catastrophic Gasket Failure... ISX Air Compressor ) 
Catastrophic Gasket Failure... ISX Air Compressor
What a trip... Heading back from Claycomo MO, Ford MoCo with a load of empty HM paint thinner vats... Cruising along 36 out of Cameron MO, heading towards Hannibal MO, final destination, Detroit MI...

Cruising along, 60 mph, and the warning buzzer goes off, WTF! I look down at the gauges and the oil pressure is heading towards 20psi... I immediately hit the 4-ways, get off the road into a business which was RIGHT THERE! Thank God! Whipped into the parking lot and still had oil pressure, 10psi, and shut her down. I did not even set the brakes, I coasted to a stop.

Oil everywhere, what the HELL just happened? Truck did not overheat, everything was fine in that regard, nothing damaged. Again, Thank GOD.

Get under the hood, first thing I am thinking is the oil pan gasket, as I just had that worked on this winter at a local shop... All of the oil loss was on the driver side... I cannot for the life of me figure this one out...

Well, the business I am at wants me gone, so call a wrecker, apparently I'm not the first one to pull into their yard, AG outfit. They do not work on trucks, and were not interested in helping a guy out.

Long story short, the air compressor bolts, the three that hold them to the backside of the front structure, worked their way out. The bolts in the brace were missing too... WTF?

Hey, I'm pretty good with my motor, but I do not run around with a wrench or socket and put it to every bolt head on the motor. And I had no reason to believe there were issues with the air compressor, or the gasket.

Trucking outfit that towed me took me to their shop, got me right in, tightened things up, installed two new bolts and sold me a few cases of oil, the gasket was shot, as it was still leaking. I delivered my load, used two gallons on the 600 mile trip back. I'm home.

Now, WHY DID this HAPPEN? I figured it out, and yes I used Loc-Tite on the bolts when I installed that air compressor, what three years ago, maybe four?

I needed a new gasket, called Cummins, none available, called a bunch of other shops, found one at a local Peterbilt dealer... $38. That was the issue, the gasket I installed with the new air compressor. It was a paper gasket, and for the life of me, the one I took off was the same, or I would have not used that paper one that came with the compressor.

The new gasket I just picked up is metal and rubber. The metal sandwiches the rubber gasket material, and that explains why my paper gasket failed, and allowed the bolts to loosen. I knew there is oil sloshing around in the front structure, but I did not realize it was as much as it appears to be.

My thought, the paper gasket, over time, sucked up the oil and failed. When it failed, the air compressor worked its way loose. The torque specs are 33 ft lb, in that soft aluminum, that is not much, especially for an air compressor that is in continual operation. I hate that aluminum front structure for this very reason. It is soft, and the holes are easily stripped out, it should be steel in my book, weight or no weight.

When you replace your air compressor, do not use that paper of felt gasket that comes with it, go to Cummins and get the proper gasket. It is part number 4965690 Here it is... https://www.agkits.com/cummins-accessory...GSs-C1h2_8

Oh, check your bolts. Don't be that guy. ;-)

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55 , RocketScott , tree98 , snailexpress , amermextrucker , Nostalgic , SquareOne , Roysbigtoys , JimT , Pd6cas2

Messages In This Thread
Catastrophic Gasket Failure... ISX Air Compressor - Waterloo - 03-31-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.