Fresh start up questions
04-01-2021, (Subject: Fresh start up questions ) 
Fresh start up questions
So, hopefully tomorrow is the day. After over a month of inframing my 871, resealing everything and repainting everything I get to fire it up tomorrow. It's been a painful experience, mostly due to parts delays, but still a rewarding experience nevertheless.

Tomorrow I plan on dumping my old oil into it and after finishing up a few things, firing it up. I'll run it for 5 minutes to leak check it and bleed the steering gear, then I've got a bridge to pull nearby with a loaded trailer before I come back to change the oil. Figured I'd run it locally for 2-3 weeks, (no overnight idling) change it and the bypass filter, run the overhead again and be on my way.

If I remember correctly, I read something on here about making sure I didn't use the jakes for awhile...is there a number of miles I need to be looking at for keeping them off? Out of curiosity, why?

Any particular mileage or driving behaviors that I should do or avoid (RPM, boost level, etc) during break in, aside from drive it hard?

I figured I should wait until my second oil change is complete to put in the 80w90 since the zinc acts as a wear inhibitor...and I'm trying to seat the rings. Or is this flawed logic?

Anything I'm missing? I made sure to be very thorough and take my time. Wanted to make sure to do this right.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Fresh start up questions - dhirocz - 04-01-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.