Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives?
12-23-2021, (Subject: Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives? ) 
RE: Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives?
Since installing the M713's I've put right about 50k miles on them. Still running true and much smoother than my previous Sumos (see earlier post in this thread). The deeper lugs certainly have helped with puncture resistance as I've already noticed a few nails that have gone sideways through the lug rather than through the case itself.

Unfortunately, like mentioned and expected, the Fuel mpg def suffered. I've yet to see a 9mpg tank yet. Gotten close, but no dice. I'm averaging 8.47mpg for the last 49k miles and obviously with the cold coming in, it won't get any better for a few months. So, lost a solid .5-.6mpg with these tires to this point.

Tread depth currently is at 20-21/32nds with all tires wearing similar. I didn't measure the depth when new, but according to the B/S website these tires start with 24/32nds. I'm assuming these will wear like my previous drives with the first 8-10/32nds wearing faster, then slowing up once the tires settle in (at least that's what the Sumos did).

Something odd to me is the way these are wearing. Although all look very similar to one another and also measure just about the same up to this point, when I get down eye level with the tread I can see a very light 'stepping' from the rear to the front of each section of lug. Could this be cause be all the siping? Would the siping cause the flex and maybe abnormal scrub? When I see other trucks with the same tires I notice a similar pattern as long as the tires are wore to about the same depth. When I see these tires with significant wear, they appear much flatter. Normal tire wear or alignment issue? Again, my previous tires had no where near the level of siping or tread depth these M713's do. In fact the tread depth on the Sumos started 7/32nds LESS than the M713's.

As far as alignment goes, my truck does have a slight pull right in the right lane with a hard cambered road, will stay straight (or drift a hair to the left )in the middle lane, and will lightly drift left in the hammer lane. My last drives had good even wear and, according to the shop that sold them, claimed I got more miles than any others who ran those same drives. I put about 128k-ish miles on my last set of steer tires when they were pulled with 5-6/32nd left. Steer tires were even, with very little difference in the outside vs inside tread wear. Those were Toyo M177s...now I have Bridgestone R284's and centramatics which are doing even better (both wear and ride quality).

So, if you've made it this far, anyone have any info who run these drives or others with heavy siping. Did you see a similar pattern at first or even at all?
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Michelin XDA Energy or Bridgestone M713 drives? - SquareOne - 12-23-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.