Yet another gear pump fuel leak.....
02-24-2022, (Subject: Yet another gear pump fuel leak..... ) 
RE: Yet another gear pump fuel leak.....
It's been about a week and I have around 3k miles on the replacement pump. It appears to be doing what it's supposed to do. I'm always skeptical of reman, but sometimes you don't have a choice in the matter. All in, the cost of the pump was just over $700 once the core was returned. The prices I had received on this pump were $3-400 different depending on where I looked. It pays to shop around.

Labor wise, other than being a little bit of a pain in the a$$ because of the truck (Cascadia), this is quite literally a 45min to an hr job once you have the part painted and ready to be installed. That time is including clean-up as well. The truck you're installing this in will most likely be what determines the length of time. One thing to note, be ready for some lube oil to come out once you break the low side pump free from the high side. Just have a catch pan ready.

* - A few interesting things to note.... When the old pump was removed and inspected, I could feel the endplay in the pump shaft. It was def more than the reman. Also, when turning the shaft back and forth, I could hear a metal to metal sound (think the same sound as a wore U-joint on a much smaller scale). This sound or feeling was not present on the reman pump. The old pump was certainly leaking fuel from the weep hole as some drained out when it was on it's side. It had about 550k miles when removed.

Lastly, something I didn't expect was the absence of that weird harmonic 'hum' these fuel systems produce. If you own one of these (cm2250 or 2350, not sure about the newer models), you know the sound I'm talking about. Occurs around 700rpm - 850rpm or so and is annoying as hell. Sounds like a damn brass band trying to hit a note to get in tune... (I believe there was another post on here where Mr.Hagg had mentioned the cause.) Regardless, it's an aggravating sound. Once you hear it, you'll wait for it at every time you drop back to low idle. This week, I haven't noticed that sound one time and without a doubt it had been present prior to the pump replacement. In fact, that sound became much more frequent within the last few months. Where at one time it would come and go, lately it seemed to be staying for longer periods without a break.

PM me if anyone needs any help with this. Again, it's simple and relatively cheap job considering this WILL put you on side the road if the seal completely fails. If your fuel milage is slipping, maybe check that weep hole for a leak. At nearly 4 bucks a gallon and climbing, I don't want any fuel escaping the path it needs to be on.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , tree98 , MCRENT

Messages In This Thread
RE: Yet another gear pump fuel leak..... - SquareOne - 02-24-2022

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.