Block cutting
04-16-2022, (Subject: Block cutting ) 
Block cutting
What’s going on crew?

I had some questions on block cutting. Just got certified to cut blocks through Cummins. Haven’t used the skill in about 4 months since getting certified, but recently got tasked to cut two ISC/L blocks. Was able to work through getting them cut and shimmed correctly. Aside from the obvious details like mic’ing depth and triple checking, any tips? Sure is a slow process. I understand Cummins still promotes the brass shims but I have been seeing a lot on convo about the stainless shims. What are your thoughts in shin integrating? Obviously stainless would hold up better over time vs brass. But would any of you folks be worried about the hardness of a stainless shim being less forgiving In terms of “squish” vs a brass shin? In regards to cut depths, I know the standard isx block takes two sizes, but the isl takes up to 5 sizes, when cutting, what are thoughts on shim stacking? Clearly Cummins doesn’t believe in stacking, just curious what other experienced cutters think. Obviously Cummins wouldn’t practice this because or warranty issues. When it comes to cut spec, I try and cut depth to max out top line protrusion. Not as much of a worry on the ISL blocks, but recently Cummins changed the liner protrusion spec on the isx from 7 to 14 to 7-12. I’ve heard of a lot of guys still cutting to max 14 or even higher to like 15-16, thoughts? Any advice appreciated, trying to dial in these cuts and plan accordingly.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Block cutting - dericson - 04-16-2022
RE: Block cutting - Rawze - 04-16-2022,
RE: Block cutting - Agentspd - 04-16-2022,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.