Bigger steer tire
09-05-2016, (Subject: Bigger steer tire ) 
RE: Bigger steer tire
Well, I know the consensus here is to run high pressures to dissipate heat, which I do... But then we have the tire manufacturers saying to run a lower pressure for better, more even wear, around your 85 psi. That was from one of the big tire manufacturers too, like Continental or Goodyear, I read that a year or two ago in one of those industry emails I get... There was never any mention of heat build up though in regards to lower pressures, but they are selling tires...

I doubt it will make a hill of beans of a difference, I would say slow down, and change out your shocks for fresh ones. If you haul heavy, I would make that a yearly purchase. Then we have your weight, how much do you routinely haul? If you are heavy is there a way to better even out the load by loading the trailer differently? Smooth out the ride? And going to those larger steers with lower pressures, won't that slow you down anyways? Also, will your front axle safely handle a wider rim and heavier tire? The trucks running those sized rims and tires up here in Michigan normally have 20,000 lb front ends.

I'm up here in Michigan, and it is said we have the worst roads in the country... What I have done, partially due to the terrible roads and traffic, is to actually change my area of operation. I moved out of the Detroit area and headed over to the center of the state and now camp out in Lansing MI, the state capitol. The roads are much better up this way and with less traffic. Is there a way you can do like I did and just work a different area? Or are you OTR? I'm in a different situation than many here, but had to ask.

Seriously, I think slowing down is your best option, there are roads here that are posted at 55 mph, which I routinely drive at 35 mph or slower, with the four ways on. That is about the only way I can keep my truck in one piece, slow down and take my time. Speed is not in my vocabulary, on a good stretch of road I might crank her up to about 63 mph... And everyone knows how unreliable my truck is, only a few more parts left to replace...
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Bigger steer tire - sbtrucking - 09-05-2016,
RE: Bigger steer tire - Nilao - 09-05-2016,
RE: Bigger steer tire - Waterloo - 09-05-2016
RE: Bigger steer tire - Rawze - 09-05-2016,
RE: Bigger steer tire - Brock - 09-05-2016,
RE: Bigger steer tire - hhow55 - 09-05-2016,
RE: Bigger steer tire - JMBT - 10-30-2016,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.