Auto shift transmission
09-12-2022, (Subject: Auto shift transmission ) 
RE: Auto shift transmission
Repair experience with my Auto Shift

My truck has the Ultra Shift 10 speed in it. This truck has 3:55 gears and I run 22.5 low pros and I felt it did pretty good until… The end of July it started having some issues getting stuck in gear and the only way I could get it to come back was to find somewhere to stop, shut the engine off for a minute or so and let the transmission cycle. Sometimes it would take a few tries to get neutral back and get rid of the ** where the gear displays. The day came where the reset didn’t work. I shut the engine off and it wouldn’t restart, Insite said there was no transmission recognized basically, faults on the dash said the input and output sensors weren’t reading and Eatons Road Ranger program wouldn’t communicate with the transmission either. The first place we looked for issues was the wiring harness from the transmission to the firewall, all was well, the J1939 wires were fine and everything pointed to the brain that controls the transmission, the TECU. I decided that since we were replacing that unit I may as well do all the sensors too in hopes of not having to get back in there anytime soon. All the parts were put back in, wires neatly tied and Road Ranger connected without any issues. All tests passed until it came to the clutch adjustment and the clutch actuator failed. After a few phone calls, the theory came about that the TECU may have taken out a few sensors and the clutch actuator on its way out. Being there were roughly 590,000 miles on this truck we began to question the clutch also. There’s an inertia brake that mounts inside the bell housing, it was junk and the clutch wasn’t looking to good either which we kind of expected. The new TECU doesn’t function like the old one did, it wants to upshift at around 1600 rpms and downshift at 1100. I find myself putting it in the manual mode at 6th-7th gear and shifting the rest with the button. I’m going to look around soon to see if the settings can be changed as to where it shifts at. And yes, as Rawze said, the repairs do cost more.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55

Messages In This Thread
RE: Auto shift transmission - Meanwhile - 09-12-2022

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.