1million mile isx15 never been touched - what now?
02-02-2023, (Subject: 1million mile isx15 never been touched - what now? ) 
RE: 1million mile isx15 never been touched - what now?
ISX's have shorter rods and very different compression ratio, very different components,. and very different designs, even in how they are programmed and how they run. They are thru, a very, very, VERY different engine all together compared to the old yeller you had there, so forget everything you thought you knew. None of it applies.

ISX's are actually a good engine, but a person has to care for them properly. THIS MEANS NOT NEGLECTING AND ABUSING THEM! .. or you get exactly all of the nightmares about them not lasting very long, and all of the other issues that people say about them. The bulk of people who own trucks these days neglect, abuse, and shove bad custom tuning./delete programs in them due to sheer ignorance and then always blame all results of this abuse on the engine. It is the norm, not the exception.

Learn to care for it properly. Have it rebuilt 100% properly (rare to find anyone who will do this any more)... and if it is in fact, de-mandated(deleted).. then just like preventing sand in your oil .. Only use a program that has been 100% vetted, reviewed, etc. by myself (Rawze) at some point to ensure nothing in it will harm the engine long term. 90%+ of all programming that I review every year is absolutely harmful to these modern engines and is an absolute plague in the trucking industry.

Does not matter the engine has a lot of miles on it .. if the engine/truck is in fact de-mandated (deleted), then that is top priority to have the programming reviewed for safety. copy the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for a proper review of what someone did, good, bad, or downright ugly.

============================
replying to your post...

(02-01-2023 )dccustomfarms Wrote:  ... a million miles and 30k hours on the clock....

Previous owner stated that the head, or the pan has never been off.

What you mentioned above is a form of neglect all in itself. The rod/main bearings should have been done at the 800k mark if someone wanted it to make it past a million miles with it.

Since it was not done, it is now a ticking time bomb, waiting to put a piston thru the block with zero warning at this point. Not doing the rod/main bearings at 800k sets it up for accelerated wrist pin wear, and eventual wrist pin failure. Doing it now at a million+ will not make it any better if this wrist pin wear has already starting setting in.

Is it time to inframe it.,.. and like others have said.. it has to be done right, and hardly any one any more does them right. Hence all the ignorance-based horror stories about how they do not last very long.

Here is how it needs to be done... Any shortcuts and it will not last another million...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid70606

you also did not mention what rear end ratio the truck has. If it has tall gears, this = engine abuse due to it lugging its whole damn life with some complete fool trying to climb every damn hill they see with it below 1500 rpm.

Red engines are not yellow engines. They need to be driven ABOVE 1500+ (1500 - 1900) rpm range when under any kind of heavy load to retain the longest engine life and reduce wear.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1million mile isx15 never been touched - what now? - Rawze - 02-02-2023

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.