Eaton 18spd Intermittent Problem
05-07-2023, (Subject: Eaton 18spd Intermittent Problem ) 
RE: Eaton 18spd Intermittent Problem
My 10 speed Eaton used to do the same thing when I first bought my truck. Had about 360k on it at the time. Mine would occur randomly and only while shifting from High-Low, never Low-High range. It was slowly beginning to get a little more frequent for the first 100k miles I put the truck.

While performing a full PM, I replaced the trans fluid with 75/90 gear oil (from the original 50wt it called for). The grinding began to occur fewer and further between until eventually it VERY rarely happened at all. That trans now has a tick over 800k miles and I couldn't tell you the last time it has ground between ranges.

Seems with the mileage you have, you wouldn't have that issue, but then again, if you have a lighter weight oil in the trans and pulling heavier loads, maybe excessive heat has broken the oil down faster? Just a theory, but maybe try replacing the fluid with a heavier weight gear oil and see if that helps.

Also, just in case you don't already do this, make sure to flip the splitter before making your shift from low-high range or vice-versa.

*** An 09 with 134k? Whats the story there? Could also be contributing to your issue depending on its past use. What kind of hours do you have on your truck?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: MSPOIRIER

Messages In This Thread
RE: Eaton 18spd Intermittent Problem - SquareOne - 05-07-2023

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.