My Pete rebuild
12-25-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
(12-25-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  54%, intake manifold has a vacuum @ idle.

If the truck is de-mandated, bump it up a bit at idle.

54% at idle is not bad, sound about right for preventing vacuum for most trucks. On my own truck, it is much lower, and I do have a slight vacuum at idle, simply because I want to consume as little fuel at idle as possible.

You should have "flutter" at the hole for the IMAP, but it should not be sucking the edged of a piece of paper into the hole.

Idling a lot, it is common for a turbo to slobber a bit. If it has sat a long time, it could do this too. - I would run it down the roads and see if it clears up on its own.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I don't get a flutter until about 900 rpm. I bumped the idle up to 700 and still have a solid vacuum (no flutter on paper, sucks it tight). I didn't think the cac system should be so wet (I'd guess that 4 ozs leaked out at the band clamp on the driver side cac-intake manifold), and I guess if it's passing that much through, it would explain the oil coming out the exhaust manifold more so than unset rings? I have less than 1 hour run time on it since it's very first start.

I really wish I could "run it down the road", but it's just too much liability. I could care less about legalities, but a lawsuit would ruin my parade since no insurance policy is going to cover an untitled vehicle here. Once I've had it inspected and titled, I can put some insurance on it, but at that point i'll have to shell out some money for plates, insurance and 2290. I don't want to lay out the cash if it's not going to be ready to work soon after, if that makes sense?

I had planned on working on finishing up the driveline and interior this week, but then when things like this pop up, it consumes me until I get some type of resolution.
replyreply
(12-25-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  I don't get a flutter until about 900 rpm. I bumped the idle up to 700 and still have a solid vacuum (no flutter on paper, sucks it tight). I didn't think the cac system should be so wet (I'd guess that 4 ozs leaked out at the band clamp on the driver side cac-intake manifold), and I guess if it's passing that much through, it would explain the oil coming out the exhaust manifold more so than unset rings? I have less than 1 hour run time on it since it's very first start.

I really wish I could "run it down the road", but it's just too much liability. I could care less about legalities, but a lawsuit would ruin my parade since no insurance policy is going to cover an untitled vehicle here. Once I've had it inspected and titled, I can put some insurance on it, but at that point i'll have to shell out some money for plates, insurance and 2290. I don't want to lay out the cash if it's not going to be ready to work soon after, if that makes sense?

I had planned on working on finishing up the driveline and interior this week, but then when things like this pop up, it consumes me until I get some type of resolution.

that almost sounds like a restrictive CAC. Hope your not running one of those after-market P.O.S's.

still that sounds like more oil than normal. Maybe pull the turbo and have the face seal changed.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(12-25-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  that almost sounds like a restrictive CAC. Hope your not running one of those after-market P.O.S's.

still that sounds like more oil than normal. Maybe pull the turbo and have the face seal changed.

When I was videoing the oil coming off the turbine, there wasn't much air flow. I actually expected it to make a mess everywhere, but it just gradually migrated up to the flange. I emailed Yiyito, so we'll see. I'd think a restrictive CAC would have opposite effect with higher pressure @ the turbo and actually improve this.
replyreply
12-26-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(12-25-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  I'd think a restrictive CAC would have opposite effect with higher pressure @ the turbo and actually improve this.

A restrictive CAC would not cause more oil seepage, but your description of having a hard vacuum on the intake at 54% closing+idle can certianly be caused by a restrictive CAC.

replyreply
12-30-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
Turbo and tuning tweaks will have to hold until I can get some seat time. To do that, I need to get seats IN it. Spent some time wet sanding over old company name where an overzealous heat gun burned it into the paint, followed by rubbing compound, polish, and wax. I'm not the best at it, and have some tiger stripes to clean up on the sides of the sleeper, but the paint doesn't look too bad for an old truck.

And another step into getting seats in, is something to put under them. Finally got around to carving up a new floor. Total cost, around $65.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , snailexpress , Brock
01-01-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
So I finally got just about all of the duct work out and cleaned.

I thought I got all of the qualcom wiring out this summer, but I guess I missed a lead...

Or 10? And it just keeps growing. How many miles of wire does that crap need?

replyreply
01-05-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
Got my cab floor

and new driver seat in today... I don't like how it's always reclined back so far, but my wife says it's a Peterbilt thing I just need to get used to.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Roysbigtoys
01-05-2019, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
I have a pair of red ones that will match your truck better
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.