Looking to buy used truck
01-09-2019, (Subject: Looking to buy used truck ) 
Looking to buy used truck
Hello everyone first post here. ARB and CARB are forcing me replace my Cat c15 and series 60. They have not allowed me to renew my registration. I am on the market for a conventional with raised roof sleeper. Budget is 50,000. I'm looking for a Cummins 2010 model year or higher. Should i buy a 2250 or 2350. What mileage? Volvo or Pete? Also looking for an AMT which would be an Eaton. What year Eaton amt is most reliable? Truck will be hauling 8 cars CA- TX. Rawze your a Cummins GOD.
replyreply
RE: Looking to buy used truck
welcome revlimited.

Are you able to get a CM 871 engine? They have some in 2010 and 2011 I think and
if your going to Cali that should be good enough for them right? Because Cali want 2008 and newer. I here CM 871 out does the 22 and 2350 isx
I would maybe get the one without the def system.
replyreply
California requires engine year 2010 and up. I was unaware or cm 871 being available in2010/2011. I will try to find more info on it. Pete or Volvo? And 3.55 is good right ?
replyreply
What year did eaton start to improve the ATM
replyreply
Idk but I drive a 2013 freightliner cascadia 10 speed auto smart shift.Watch out for the autos, bc my clutch went out on me and the cost of just that was like over twice as much then a regular at 508k miles.Also to mention electronics in them. I would think the dd12 would be good but they are on the Detroit engine for automatic. Idk if Cummins engine and an automatic transmission are as good as detruots automatics. The cm-871 beats the others. But be ready to check the truck out very throughly.
replyreply
Carb compliant is: DPF is good until 2022, I think that would be around 2008 on but you can install a stand alone system on older truck ...we had a 2000 pete they installed a Hug system ...really robbed hp.
After 2022 its 2010 or later, DPF and DEF. An 871 would be good until 2022. The laws in Cali are a pain as they keep changing the compliance rules, they have changed them a half dozen times already. Most truckers I know just bit the bullet and went new? Most in this last year. The one thing I notice is if I'm traveling to other states? lotsa black smoke :-) California? almost zero smoke unless you go to the bay area, thousands of old junkers spewing smoke! and that was the whole intent to reduce diesel particulate in high density areas ...what a joke!!!
If you want to keep the truck go 2010 or newer, if you can go with the 2350 as most have the improved fuel pump. And above that? buy new ...it wont guarantee no problems but you wont be buying someone elses.
replyreply
how many people in cali get checked for a D'mandated truck btw?
replyreply
ARB caught me in thousand oaks scale. Got a $1000 fine. Its a crap shot, most of the time ARB isn't in the scales but when they are be careful!

Does the 2350 have the "new" piston rings in them?
Also does the 2350 have more sensors?
I read somewhere the 2350 has the ammonia sensors.
replyreply
(01-09-2019 )flatbed94kid Wrote:  how many people in cali get checked for a D'mandated truck btw?
That's the problem .....sooo the jest is in Cali they are refusing to register trucks that don't comply ....that is the forced compliance ..its effective if you ..register in Cali? At this time I do not believe they check if your "legal" its more of truck age? .... or if you have current registration? I have heard rumblings about a exhaust checker, something they stick in your pipe to check on DEF side. I have a good friend that is captain of CHP DOT inspection scale in Truckee he said in general the inspectors are told what to look for on truck ..DEF tank, DPF, EGR and such but they don't really know if its not working. The problem I see is soon they will and I would hate to spend money on getting rid of it and get caught? Catch 22? And I am the most illegal truck driver you will ever find .....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: flatbed94kid

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.