Battery Short randomly losing ECM power w/ign on
09-06-2019, (Subject: Battery Short randomly losing ECM power w/ign on ) 
RE: Battery Short randomly losing ECM power w/ign on
smacking straight down onto the top of it (almost hard enough to dent the casing) will make it cut out the easiest when they are flaky like that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Rawze, I didn’t know how hard to hit these things before it damaged the casing, I must not have been hitting straight down as hard as I should’ve. Now if I can Cummins to warranty this thing is another story. The people testing these things when they’re reconditioned must not test them at operating temps and with the forces subjected from being on truck?

One would think that if you spend 2k on something it would work perfectly....sadly that’s not the world we live in but anyways I’ve posted the videos And hopefully they work.

The first video is of the “new” reconditioned ecm, it takes a little more force to get it to cut out.
https://youtu.be/KYR7G5xG7kg

The second video is the original ecm, it is a lot easier to get it to cut out. You’ll notice I tried wiggling all of the wires right around the ecm and they had no effect.
https://youtu.be/iXkEhBGTl40
replyreply
(first video) ...
I usually am testing/smacking one from the top down when it is still bolted on .. but that looks about right for shock-load when testing one.

I test every one I have installed with someone before calling it good. - So far I have not had one from cummins themselves (or stealersh$it ) that was bad. <- Hopefully the ones your buying are certified OEM and not some repaired junk from a shop somewhere? - Just does not sound quite right, as cummins themselves usually do not repair the boards,.. they only re-use the outer frame and put brand new board in them, as it is cheaper than troubleshooting one.

Long term excess vibration somewhere is usually the underlying cause. Crank shaft damper, motor mounts, unbalanced clutch or other components directly connected to the engine.

If there is a lot of vibration from the engine or if your crank shaft damper is old, then it needs replacing too. It can contribute greatly towards this problem at cartian RPM's that are harmonics of the board components in that thing.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
With mine smacking it did nothing, I smack tested it so many times by the end the top was dented to shi#t!!! With mine the resistor was connected but would break the connection due to a bad solder point when it got hot.

I borrowed a ecm from a CM870 and threw it on and the truck ran fine for hours and hours, I had codes and no throttle but it verified the ecm was bad for me... of course i went through every single troubleshooting step still to verify cause I'm crazy like that, nothing pisses me off more that misdiagnosis.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
09-07-2019, (Subject: Battery Short randomly losing ECM power w/ign on ) 
Update, had the ecm at Cummins yesterday, at first they couldn’t get it to cut out, I called back and told them to try it hot. They put it on a hot plate and were able to get it to cut out. They refuse to warranty it without my truck and I refuse to take my truck to them now that I know it was the ecm, I don’t want to tow it to them and I’m not sure I could make it there with this ecm.

Of course they’re blaming me and my truck....just gonna have to eat the cost of this ecm.

Has anyone here tried a repair service{name removed}? They charge 795$ for fixing one, I may just send them my original one since I know it messes up when it’s not warm. I’m trying to save some money, this thing has already cost me lots of time and money I won’t get back and I don’t want to get another bad ecm from Cummins.

Rawze, I do plan on replacing the crankshaft damper around the 650k mark, after I can get this thing going and save a little more money up. I saw the post where you talked about that and I imagine mine is getting to the point where it’s needing replacing.

Thanks again to all of you for your time and information!
replyreply
09-07-2019, (Subject: Battery Short randomly losing ECM power w/ign on ) 
Yeah just as I thought, no warranty on electrical parts, never has been. Consider it the price to pay for working on your own truck. Even if you towed your truck to them they would find a way out of the warranty. Just pay for it and move on.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
09-08-2019, (Subject: Battery Short randomly losing ECM power w/ign on ) 
I would lose my shi#t on them!!! They sold you a junk ecm and wont warranty it without a massive tow bill that will cost as much as the ecm? Will they be paying the tow bill?

A local detroit shop sold me a reman turbo that leaked oil instantly so I brought it back for warranty, they told me I had to buy a new one and send the old one away and if it was approved they would then credit me back..... I said heck no!!! I literally bought it yesterday and it was a instant dud so your gonna warranty it! I was very angry, I told them if that's the case I'll come shot put this turbo across their parts room.

Well at this point the managers got involved and they wouldn't budge so I calmed down a little and said this.........

" Sir, you should know one thing about me.... I have no shame at all....... none. I'm in a city I just moved to so I dont care who sees me so here's what I'm about to do, I'm going to write my number on this here peice of paper then walk out of your store and I'm going to drive to Staples, if you havent called me to tell me I'm getting a full warranty swap this second then I'm going to buy some colorful construction paper and balloons and make some huge bright neon signs telling people how you ripped me off then I'm gonna park on public sidewalk out front in a lawn chair while calling every media outlet I can think of and putting it on every major truck forum and social media.

Walked out and he grabbed me while I was getting into my truck and said ok..... well take care of it.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
so far this year had 1 ecm had them program it made it 100 feet and died 2nd ecm off the shelf they couldnt even get to accept a program. 3rd ecm finaly worked that they had to order in.

installed 6 injectors in march 2 replaced last week due to bubbles viciously coming back doing 006-026 leak test.

cummins is junk sure i can work on my own truck with one but if all your parts your buying are shi#t whats the point.

add on top the fact that if you want something warrantied you have to buy more and send the bad parts to who knows what type of jackass that has no training to decide if you get a warranty or not.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
More reasons to walk away from this racket...
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.