What would you have done differently??
11-11-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
RE: What would you have done differently??
for bellies on 42 i would have 1 centered for every 10' span so 4 bellies. i use all 4 inch straps all i have. then for top straps i usualy 1 strap front 1 strap back and 1 strap for every 10' inbetween so 6 like you did as i tend to do either 3 or 4 on 20' pipe front/center/rear

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
You don’t use any choke straps or gut straps or anything?

The top layer was loose as I was walking around up there kicking out tarps so I added the 2” before tarping

3” and 4” straps have the same WLL I believe, or at least they did the last time I looked

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
the pipe i haul is sqaured and bound with those fibermesh bindings no real reason to choke doesnt move.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
Im so glad too see this thread still going strong i love seeing the back an forth an different opinions. I've been off working on a couple side projects you guys will hear about in the next little bit.

Too LRT something(sorry bout the name i cant remember it) rietenour doesnt weld their pockets they are slotted in place an i posted the document stating its a tested and rated securement point, the only spots weld on a rietenour is the spools, everything else is bolted.

To DD the regs state for any piece over 10ft in length there must be 2 straps in the first 10ft an then one for evey 10ft after it.

replyreply
So last week i need to be home on the weekend an i pretty much ate it. $900 2000ish miles, it was my old nemesis styrofoam. I unfortunately learn something new every time i haul this stuff an i post this for someone too learn from.

So for anyone thats hauled this stuff you know you cant tighten it down, so its basicly just sitting on the deck. So from past experiences ive got the back X strapped an the rest strapped like you should with the cardboard edge protectors. So heres how it looked when i left

The tall stack i was told the made out of 2 smaller stacks an didnt think ya more on that to come.

So a couple hours down the road i stop too check the load an that top section of the tall stack is trying to walk away, so i threw i strap over it front to back too try an stop it from going backwords

Figuring i was good too go i took off for a couple more hours an ill be damn that stack ate its wheaty's cause wasnt he trying too walk away again FFS.

replyreply
Continued.....

Thats when i realized it was a bunch of smaller stacks stacked together so i finished splitting them an flattened out the load, an finally through a smoke tarp over everything like i shpuld have done in the beginning but the shipper didnt seem too care so neither did i.

Im happy to say after doing that the load arrived too its destination save an sound.

So for anybody reading this 2 huge tips for hauling styrofoam.

1. Always always cross strap the back its a bitch too get it too stay but well worth it an needed.

2. Throw a smoke tarp whether the customer asks for one or not, it stops wind from blowing through the stacks an upsetting an shifting everything an making your life a 1000% times easier
replyreply
Sorry for the shi#t english in my posts I'm gonna blame using my phone lol
replyreply
(11-11-2019 )ynot Wrote:  Continued.....

Thats when i realized it was a bunch of smaller stacks stacked together so i finished splitting them an flattened out the load, an finally through a smoke tarp over everything like i shpuld have done in the beginning but the shipper didnt seem too care so neither did i.

Im happy to say after doing that the load arrived too its destination save an sound.

So for anybody reading this 2 huge tips for hauling styrofoam.

1. Always always cross strap the back its a bitch too get it too stay but well worth it an needed.

2. Throw a smoke tarp whether the customer asks for one or not, it stops wind from blowing through the stacks an upsetting an shifting everything an making your life a 1000% times easier

I’ve had it happen twice to me. Specifically told no tarps needed. Right from dispatcher to the shipper to the broker to the receiver. No tarps needed

But then both times I’ve had the plastic wrapping blow apart on one bundle and damage the product

The problem is it really doesn’t pay enough to tarp it, but having it all tarped keeps it from walking around on you, too

Styrofoam sucks to haul but the way they loaded you was ridiculous and didn’t help things

User's Signature: I have no idea what I’m doing and probably need supervising
replyreply
11-12-2019, (Subject: What would you have done differently?? ) 
Its 2 for any item over 5FT long or over i 1100 lbs that is not blocked. but when you get into something of considerable length hes correct in stating for the length of a 42' item its 2 in the first 10 ft then 1 every 10 thereafter.

so examples

1 Pallet 3 Ft Long under 1100lbs - 1 strap blocked or not

1 Pallet 3 ft long over 1100lbs - 2 straps is not blocked 1 strap if blocked

1 Pallet 9 Ft long under 1100lbs - 2 straps unblocked 1 strap blocked

10 ft is the magical number that changes things any pallet 10FT or longer requires 2 in first 10 1 every 10 there after.

1 Pallet 50ft long weight isnt considered - 6 straps 2 in the first 10ft 1 every 10ft there after. or as many straps as it takes to cover the weight of the load for forward/up/backward movement percentages.

if a pallet is say over 10ft by just 6 inches...a DOT offerent can ticket you for not having a 3rd strap as the first 2 straps only cover the 10ft you need a 3rd for those wonderful 6inches or more after the 10ft.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.