KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air
10-13-2020, (Subject: KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air ) 
KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air
Got up this morning and I'm missing 2 gallons of coolant. Couldn't find it in the dark while its raining. I drove 100 miles to Baltimore and I found it... puking out of the transmission. What I'm looking for is a part number for the universal mount heavy duty air cooler. Anyone have it? This will be mounting to the back of a 13 speed eaton trans.

I knew I had to get this stupid coolant style heat exchanger off but I waited to long...

Also, im in a bit of a pinch being under load now. Light load but still loaded 15,000 lbs crane parts. Im gonna drive the 100 miles home with the milky oil. But is it OK to drain and refill the trans and just plug the oil cooler lines while I wait on a cooler kit to show up? Load goes 200 miles away.
replyreply
RE: KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air
Need to drain trans and flush out with diesel fuel or mineral spirits. I remove lower plates and take air blower and blow out good. Coolant will kill the bearings if left in it.... I know you in a pinch so if you can loop the coolant lines and the oil lines to cooler til you get it back to your shop you can....However need to flush asap..... DONOT run with coolant in there.... I get my coolers from MHC as a kit comes with the hose and everything eaton number K-1956 is the kit
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Rawze , Mattman , Toolguy
Thanks, I by passed the coolant to the engine with a 3' piece of hose I had on the truck and I folded the cooler coolant lines over and zip tied them so they'll hold whatever fluid they have in them. I drained about a half gallon of crap oil out to keep the seal from completely blowing out. Hoping that'll get me home.
replyreply
10-15-2020, (Subject: KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air ) 
Mr. Hagg neglected to mention the K-1956 is the most complete kit you can buy. It comes with everything including steel braided hydraulic line and screw on fittings (not crimp)

Wow, did that make life a bit easier today. KW wanted $770 for it I got it at fleetpride for $650 which seems the going rate before shipping at online vendors.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Mattman , Toolguy
10-15-2020, (Subject: KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air ) 
That's great. I have bought a 5th wheel riser from fleet pride. They were way cheaper than I could get a truck dealer to get me one for.

Don't forget to give us a picture of the install.
I have the same factory cooler as you and have thought of replacing it before it fails.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
10-16-2020, (Subject: KW T660 transmission oil cooler from coolant to air ) 
I crawled under and snapped a couple shots. The hangers that come with the kit are pretty flimsy so I doubled them up. After installing the lines and a hose clamp it was fairly solid.

I chose the back of the transmission as the mounting spot because thats exactly where they were for the longest time in the 90's and 2000's. I imagine they started putting them up front in front of the radiator when manufacturers started cramming thing in tighter and more stuff under the truck. But on this t660 there was plenty of room for it there. I also never liked having 20 or more feet of hose running up to the front of the truck and back. Less spots for it to fail this way.

Also Mr. Hagg's suggestion to use diesel to flush the transmission worked fairly well. I put a gallon or so in the case and fired the truck off for 30 or so seconds then drained and blew out the transmission. Then I filled it with cheap gear lube and ran a short run (200 miles) and then came back and drained that stuff to make sure I got most if the contamination out. Then filled with synthetic 75w90. I did another short run today (250 miles) and the temp gauge never moved off 150°. Where as before with the coolant circulation it kept it consistently at engine operating temps.

I'm pleased with the whole process. And if those hangers fail I can simply fabricate sturdier brackets out of scrap steel or aluminum.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Mattman , Toolguy
How did you flip the truck upside down like that?

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
You can't do that with yours?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I have no idea how to get the pic flipped. I rotated it with photo editor and reloaded it. Same deal.... I guess stand on your head to view it right.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.