Changing single oil cooler to duel
10-13-2016, (Subject: Changing single oil cooler to duel ) 
Changing single oil cooler to duel
Does anyone have a list of the parts I need to change from a single oil cooler to a duel?
2008 ISX CM871 600hp
Thanks Hank
replyreply
10-14-2016, (Subject: Changing single oil cooler to duel ) 
RE: Changing single oil cooler to duel
(10-13-2016 )HankAz Wrote:  Does anyone have a list of the parts I need to change from a single oil cooler to a duel?
2008 ISX CM871 600hp
Thanks Hank

I would have thought that a 600hp would have a dual as standard.
I was sure mine was dual, as when I asked about lifespan and looked into getting the parts to do it I was told by KW that I needed two cores, but I just looked mine up on Quickserve to copy the parts list for you and it shows a single?
My CPL is 2919.
Now I'm curious, but I've got a load so I'm not taking it apart this week to find out.
Shoot Unilevers a PM, I'd bet he knows.
Please update us if/when you find out. I may convert mine as well when the time comes.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(10-14-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(10-13-2016 )HankAz Wrote:  Does anyone have a list of the parts I need to change from a single oil cooler to a duel?
2008 ISX CM871 600hp
Thanks Hank

I would have thought that a 600hp would have a dual as standard.
I was sure mine was dual, as when I asked about lifespan and looked into getting the parts to do it I was told by KW that I needed two cores, but I just looked mine up on Quickserve to copy the parts list for you and it shows a single?
My CPL is 2919.
Now I'm curious, but I've got a load so I'm not taking it apart this week to find out.
Shoot Unilevers a PM, I'd bet he knows.
Please update us if/when you find out. I may convert mine as well when the time comes.

I went through this ordeal several months ago when I was trying to figure out why my crate motor runs 220-230 on oil temp steady...

My old motor was a 600 and I assumed it had the dual cooler and kept the oil cooler.. Wrong, I started digging into other engines pulling vin's from classifieds and it almost appears Cummins has no rhyme or reason as to when they install a dual vs. single element...

I think by the end of it I did come up with a theory that it came down to the type of truck it was (long hood, aero) turbo size and the air intake configuration for various makes and models. The idea being a more open and free flowing design air intake and cooling wise a long hood truck did not need dual coolers even at 600hp but say a Volvo with a cramped engine compartment with a restrictive design may call for duals even in lower HP. It would explain why there are so many different CPL #'s for same HP ratings and make sense of the seemingly random arrangement of parts like your turbo size and oil coolers. It's all OEM truck make/model specific. I know this doesn't answer the original question but thought it was interesting, I will say there are very few engines with dual element coolers that I could find.
replyreply
Yup, a little history. I ordered mine as a 600. Last year I put in a recon and didn't have any problems. This summer I started getting red shut down lights at the top of grades. I took it in to Cummins to get it checked out. I had just had issues with the X Y shifter and thought the guy at Kenworth changed something in my parameters.
He comes back and says it's the oil temp that is setting it off. He also thought that a 600 should have a duel cooler. So that was when I started reading here on Rawze's forums. I changed the oil thermostat but it has cooled down outside now so I'm not having the problem any more but I'm going to change it at Christmas time when I'm off to a duel cooler anyways.
Oh, and mine is in a T660.
Hank
replyreply
(10-14-2016 )HankAz Wrote:  Yup, a little history. I ordered mine as a 600. Last year I put in a recon and didn't have any problems. This summer I started getting red shut down lights at the top of grades. I took it in to Cummins to get it checked out. I had just had issues with the X Y shifter and thought the guy at Kenworth changed something in my parameters.
He comes back and says it's the oil temp that is setting it off. He also thought that a 600 should have a duel cooler. So that was when I started reading here on Rawze's forums. I changed the oil thermostat but it has cooled down outside now so I'm not having the problem any more but I'm going to change it at Christmas time when I'm off to a duel cooler anyways.
Hank

Curious, the recon you ordered.. Was it the same CPL as your original motor? I downgraded to a 450 when I done mine.

If my theory is right I wonder if these recon motors when you start downgrading/upgrading HP or changing CPL#s that they are not optimal for certain truck models and you start running into efficiency problems? Cooling and fuel mileage wise..

I know if I had to do it again I wouldn't downgrade power, it hasn't yielded any improvement fuel mileage wise. Albeit I have improved my average but I worked extremely hard to curb my driving habits to do so I don't think the smaller HP had anything to do with it. Also it did seem easier to get "okay"fuel mileage with no effort on the older one which leads me back to my original thought, going outside what was specd by the OEM may have unexpected results.

My advice to anyone going down the recon road is to stick with the original CPL/engine setup that came from factory. This also reiterates something Rawze has said all along, the engine is designed around the entire truck, CAC, exhaust etc etc
replyreply
10-15-2016, (Subject: Changing single oil cooler to duel ) 
(10-14-2016 )HankAz Wrote:  Yup, a little history. I ordered mine as a 600. Last year I put in a recon and didn't have any problems. This summer I started getting red shut down lights at the top of grades. I took it in to Cummins to get it checked out. I had just had issues with the X Y shifter and thought the guy at Kenworth changed something in my parameters.
Hank

When you get a "Requird Parts List" to change the cooler from single to dual, please post the list, CPL, or an ESN that has a dual, as I may do this as well.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
I don't know what a CPL is. They just ordered it off my motor Vin.
replyreply
(10-15-2016 )HankAz Wrote:  I don't know what a CPL is. They just ordered it off my motor Vin.

CPL= Critical Parts List
It is the designation Cummins uses to identify specific engine component configurations. It can be found on the dataplate on the rocker cover.
It includes; (I don't know the complete list)
-injectors
-pistons
-turbo
-DPF

An engine can be interchanged with a used, reman, etc. with the same CPL, and installing the correct software (AV# for an 871) version.
Two engines with the same CPL's have the same hardware components, but not necessarily the same programming.
That's why I assumed the CPL would include either single or dual element oil coolers.

replyreply
Is there a way around the cost of Quickserve? I looked at that and it was like $1000.00 for the year. Or did I miss something?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.