Changing single oil cooler to duel
10-14-2016, (Subject: Changing single oil cooler to duel ) 
RE: Changing single oil cooler to duel
(10-14-2016 )HankAz Wrote:  Yup, a little history. I ordered mine as a 600. Last year I put in a recon and didn't have any problems. This summer I started getting red shut down lights at the top of grades. I took it in to Cummins to get it checked out. I had just had issues with the X Y shifter and thought the guy at Kenworth changed something in my parameters.
He comes back and says it's the oil temp that is setting it off. He also thought that a 600 should have a duel cooler. So that was when I started reading here on Rawze's forums. I changed the oil thermostat but it has cooled down outside now so I'm not having the problem any more but I'm going to change it at Christmas time when I'm off to a duel cooler anyways.
Oh, and mine is in a T660.
Hank

Curious, the recon you ordered.. Was it the same CPL as your original motor? I downgraded to a 450 when I done mine.

If my theory is right I wonder if these recon motors when you start downgrading/upgrading HP or changing CPL#s that they are not optimal for certain truck models and you start running into efficiency problems? Cooling and fuel mileage wise..

I know if I had to do it again I wouldn't downgrade power, it hasn't yielded any improvement fuel mileage wise. Albeit I have improved my average but I worked extremely hard to curb my driving habits to do so I don't think the smaller HP had anything to do with it. Also it did seem easier to get "okay"fuel mileage with no effort on the older one which leads me back to my original thought, going outside what was specd by the OEM may have unexpected results.

My advice to anyone going down the recon road is to stick with the original CPL/engine setup that came from factory. This also reiterates something Rawze has said all along, the engine is designed around the entire truck, CAC, exhaust etc etc
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Changing single oil cooler to duel - bazdan902 - 10-14-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.