Does this look as bad as I think?
10-31-2016, (Subject: Does this look as bad as I think? ) 
Does this look as bad as I think?
I'm curious what you guys think of this. I pulled the valve cover off to fix a small oil leak and checked out the cam while I was there. Looks like a small scratch on cylinder 2 intake lob. Looks like camshaft time soon.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
10-31-2016, (Subject: Does this look as bad as I think? ) 
RE: Does this look as bad as I think?
I think it would be a good idea, to remove all your rocker arm's, and cleanup everything very well. Are you adding a gallon of stalube gl4 80-90w?.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
11-01-2016, (Subject: Does this look as bad as I think? ) 
honestly that looks like a dirt scratch, and not a big deal.

can you catch it with your nail? if you cant i wouldn't worry about it but i would say that looks like a typical reground cam after 100k miles or a oem one with 400K plus miles.
replyreply
11-01-2016, (Subject: Does this look as bad as I think? ) 
Until you start getting a step as wide as the roller at the peak of the cam lobe,.. I would not worry about it. It looks more like a piece of dirt/flake of metal may have settled onto the roller at some point more than anything.

BTW: It is nice to see that your engine is not all soot-packed. Oil looks pretty good.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
11-03-2016, (Subject: Does this look as bad as I think? ) 
(10-31-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  I think it would be a good idea, to remove all your rocker arm's, and cleanup everything very well. Are you adding a gallon of stalube gl4 80-90w?.

As the weather gets colder, I've started using a half gallon instead. I only drive the northeast and will go back to using a full gallon come spring.

(11-01-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  honestly that looks like a dirt scratch, and not a big deal.

can you catch it with your nail? if you cant i wouldn't worry about it but i would say that looks like a typical reground cam after 100k miles or a oem one with 400K plus miles.

I can catch it with my nail. It is not very deep at all. Also, the cam is an OEM one and I am at 405k miles. Haha! I guess it's pretty common?

(11-01-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  Until you start getting a step as wide as the roller at the peak of the cam lobe,.. I would not worry about it. It looks more like a piece of dirt/flake of metal may have settled onto the roller at some point more than anything.

BTW: It is nice to see that your engine is not all soot-packed. Oil looks pretty good.

I try and change the oil every 10,000 miles, keep idle to a minimum, and lay off the good olde fuel pedal. At 405k miles, I figured the engine would be almost soot destroyed. I still plan on getting south for some Plan B action come spring and freight slows down for me.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.