871 loud as f&$k after de$&@e
10-27-2016, (Subject: 871 loud as f&$k after de$&@e ) 
871 loud as f&$k after de$&@e
So as it says in the title I had my de$&@e done a couple of years ago. I'm just wondering if now people are drilling multiple smaller holes rather than one large one like mine has thru the DPF filter. If I believe the sound meter I downloaded ( which had a good rating from a magazine) I'm approaching 100db when climbing a hill. I recently straight piped the DPF filter in an effort to get the sound out from under the cab. That went well
replyreply
RE: 871 loud as f&$k after de$&@e
Could be way worse... Like the other trucks that roll past the shop and jaking like a mad man with open exhaust no muffler or anything....

I swear the drivers either think it sounds "balls out" or they are not smart enuf to realize they have a major exhaust leak, not even 5" straight stacks

Baaaaaabwaaabaaaa

Regardless of sound, how is truck running???

Everything running like a champ?

I wonder how much the dpf actually has to do with sound level?

You say one big hole? Is the hole the size of a 5"
replyreply
Loud exhaust is usually an exhaust leak, but a VGT turbo sticking or a VGT actuator slipping could be your problem.

One large hole.
replyreply
I've googled isx strait piped and the videos are loud as f**k. But if I could have loud on acceleration and quiet on cruising speed, I'd be happy. And I've read a turbo is actually a muffler of noise. But I'm just a guy who drives. And I'm not smart enough to D$!37% a useless system myself as of yet.
replyreply
10-28-2016, (Subject: 871 loud as f&$k after de$&@e ) 
(10-27-2016 )Vin Wrote:  Loud exhaust is usually an exhaust leak, but a VGT turbo sticking or a VGT actuator slipping could be your problem.

One large hole.
Actuator was replaced same time as del$&e not that that matters. But is been really loud ever since de was done. Straight piping the DPF while moving the noise somewhat away from under the cab accented it so I'm going to have to undo that brilliant idea. I fought the damn DPF for at least an hour by myself trying to rehang it. Kept rolling off the jack etc
Actuator was throwing cl eng lights when going downhill with jakes. The turbo has been thru a lot as it was on there since prior to doing inframe when had massive back pressure so all that stuff is on my list
Truck however runs great
Mileage isn't anything to write home about high 6s to mid 7s fairly light 62 to 65 mph
replyreply
10-28-2016, (Subject: 871 loud as f&$k after de$&@e ) 
Call around to tuner shops. a lot of them can turn your can into a make shift muffler by adding baffles, will quiet it down a bit but adding a muffler is always the best bet.

I got asked by a dot why my truck had mufflers when it was a emission truck because he was curious if I had it deleted. I told him when my dpf cracked I ended up buying a dot approved aftermarket one but it's a high flow dpf which made it louder, I don't like disturbing the public so I added a couple mufflers and heat shields to the stacks.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
10-29-2016, (Subject: 871 loud as f&$k after de$&@e ) 
(10-28-2016 )Brock Wrote:  Call around to tuner shops. a lot of them can turn your can into a make shift muffler by adding baffles, will quiet it down a bit but adding a muffler is always the best bet.

I got asked by a dot why my truck had mufflers when it was a emission truck because he was curious if I had it deleted. I told him when my dpf cracked I ended up buying a dot approved aftermarket one but it's a high flow dpf which made it louder, I don't like disturbing the public so I added a couple mufflers and heat shields to the stacks.

I like that
replyreply
10-30-2016, (Subject: 871 loud as f&$k after de$&@e ) 
Lots of trucks came with mufflers.
"That's the way I bought it."

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.