Maintenance free Crankcase filter
02-08-2018, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
RE: Maintenance free Crankcase filter
(02-08-2018 )Tmaj12k Wrote:  Can this filter be bypassed in anyway??

Yes it can.
By using the "Maintenance Free" one you effectively are bypassing this filter because there is NO filtering media in the M/F version.
The next alternative is to undo the hose from the gear cover (871 and older) or rocker cover (2250 and newer) and run your own c/c breather hose down near the bottom of the oil pan...
Not entirely sure why you would do that, this filter housing acts as a good "catch can" that separates the fluid vapors from the c/c air and drains them back into the oil eliminating the atypical mess of an open hose c/c breather tube of old, but to each their own.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , fargonaz , hhow55 , JMBT , PuroCumminsPower , Toolguy
02-28-2018, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
My housing had a crack in the bottom. I have lots of blow by so my filter gets dirty pretty quick. It needs to be changed every pm at 10k miles. The oil that was building up inside the filter was spraying out as I drove. I had to rig it up to get back home without losing oil. Take a look. Made it from Pennsylvania back to New Jersey.

replyreply
02-28-2018, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
(02-28-2018 )Tmaj12k Wrote:  My housing had a crack in the bottom. I have lots of blow by so my filter gets dirty pretty quick. It needs to be changed every pm at 10k miles. The oil that was building up inside the filter was spraying out as I drove. I had to rig it up to get back home without losing oil. Take a look. Made it from Pennsylvania back to New Jersey.

I would not recommend anyone doing what you did except in some dire temporary emergency just long enough to get you off the side of the road. It is no longer separating oil from the crank case fumes with it piped that way. - The maint. free filter works just fine on higher blo-by engines and still separates the oil from the fumes quite well too. Hopefully you plan on correcting it as soon as possible.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
03-03-2018, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
(02-28-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(02-28-2018 )Tmaj12k Wrote:  My housing had a crack in the bottom. I have lots of blow by so my filter gets dirty pretty quick. It needs to be changed every pm at 10k miles. The oil that was building up inside the filter was spraying out as I drove. I had to rig it up to get back home without losing oil. Take a look. Made it from Pennsylvania back to New Jersey.

I would not recommend anyone doing what you did except in some dire temporary emergency just long enough to get you off the side of the road. It is no longer separating oil from the crank case fumes with it piped that way. - The maint. free filter works just fine on higher blo-by engines and still separates the oil from the fumes quite well too. Hopefully you plan on correcting it as soon as possible.

Hey Rawze. Can you explain what can happen with the oil and fumes not being separated? I drove like this for a couple of days until I could buy a new complete unit. I noticed increased smoke from the blow by tube underneath the truck. I also had an increase in oil consumption. Before the housing cracked, my filters would get dirty pretty quick. There was a significant amount of oil going through the crank case.
replyreply
03-03-2018, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
Not sure how he could make it more clear but the maintenance free filter or a element filter drilled out still helps return oil back to the crank case on a tired engine. Straight piped that oil is gone and that much more coating the belly of the truck.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , LLT
03-04-2018, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
(03-03-2018 )Joesixpack Wrote:  Not sure how he could make it more clear but the maintenance free filter or a element filter drilled out still helps return oil back to the crank case on a tired engine. Straight piped that oil is gone and that much more coating the belly of the truck.

For the most part, this is what I thought.
replyreply
03-07-2018, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
Anyone know if there is one of these maintenance free filters for a ISC? I have a Cummins ISC 285. It throws crankcase over pressure code approximately every 6 weeks. So I replace the breather filter and it goes away. Filter is always plugged with oil. Would this filter your talking about for the isx happen to fit? Thanks for your help.
replyreply
03-07-2018, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
(03-07-2018 )DTB Wrote:  Anyone know if there is one of these maintenance free filters for a ISC? I have a Cummins ISC 285. It throws crankcase over pressure code approximately every 6 weeks. So I replace the breather filter and it goes away. Filter is always plugged with oil. Would this filter your talking about for the isx happen to fit? Thanks for your help.

I'm not familiar with the ISC, but if it does not use the same c/c filter as the ISX, then just drill a 1/2" hole in the plastic part of the filter NOT the filter housing near the top atmosphere/exit side of the filter.
If you're getting that much oil in the filter this may be a better way to go anyway as it increases ventilation, but will trap most of the oil instead of ventilating excessive oil vapor making an mess on the underside of the truck.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
04-26-2018, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
I know the info is somewhere because I ran across it before, but what how much should I torque the bolts on the housing?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.