Maintenance free Crankcase filter
10-25-2016, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
Maintenance free Crankcase filter
Just ran across this today. CV50031 3691476 Envirogaurd Maintenance Free crankcase filter. Cummins (fleetguard) makes this same bypass filter too. It has 5 small holes to breath thru apx 3/16" or less and then a pressure relief valve in the center that opens another small hole. There is no filter element at all to plug up but the holes seem very restrictive. Still think I'm going to drill out the side with 2 3/8 holes to give it some more flow on a 600hp @m*m^2 ISX. Just wondered if anyone had ever seen this before??

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...22#pid9322

{added by Rawze}..
Here is some basic info about crank case fumes ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...22#pid9322

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201610/post_2211_1477413643_01f2a02cad6f66f266198f46b4bbce52.jpg./uploads/201610/post_2211_1477414447_6d6604d96d90ffda8f294088d778160f.jpg
replyreply
RE: Maintenance free Crankcase filter
Yes. I've been running mine for months. One of the guys had a post about it a while back.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
Been running one for 2 months now.... don't have to worry about changing it out anymore..
replyreply
Where do you get this? I tried a Google search and can't find anything. Maybe a link?
replyreply
Part # 3691476. You can get it at Cummins or local dealer. The guys at parts counter from kenworth are funny. Clearly they don't know squat, when I bought mine he looked at it and said that's it? And he read the maintenance free filter on plastic piece and said "huh" I said to him I don't need to keep buying these anymore. So he said yes you will Cummins doesn't make a filter you don't need to replace.. I just laughed inside...idiot doesn't know squat. It says it right on the filter!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , PuroCumminsPower , Toolguy
10-26-2016, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
I know what a breather filter is for, but what benefit does this provide? I've seen talk of drilling holes in the stock housing but I'm not sure what the gain is. Can someone fill me in? I'm apparently missing out on something lol.
replyreply
Thanks, oh is this for a CM871?
replyreply
(10-26-2016 )Matt Wrote:  I know what a breather filter is for, but what benefit does this provide? I've seen talk of drilling holes in the stock housing but I'm not sure what the gain is. Can someone fill me in? I'm apparently missing out on something lol.

Drilling the hole is one of Rawze tricks on the old style to eliminate high crankcase pressure fault codes.
There is a sensor in the side of the housing and they act up like they all do, especially if you have high milage.

I had someone that is supposed to know better, watch me drill a hole in one and tell me I would blow my engine if I did. "Cummins need back pressure " I just smiled and went about my business.
While that is true to an extent on a stock engine, I wonder if he knows how much back pressure a dpf puts on the engine when its working right,let alone being clogged?

Drilling the holes in it prevents problems, saves wasted money and is harmless unless you think a little oil vapor is causing global warming

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
10-28-2016, (Subject: Maintenance free Crankcase filter ) 
(10-26-2016 )Matt Wrote:  I know what a breather filter is for, but what benefit does this provide? I've seen talk of drilling holes in the stock housing but I'm not sure what the gain is. Can someone fill me in? I'm apparently missing out on something lol.

To answer your question, it eliminates the need for ever replacing the filter again. Change it once your good for life. So it claims
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.