Went to the dark side
10-26-2016, (Subject: Went to the dark side ) 
Went to the dark side
So I have an 08 Peterbilt 386. It has been smoking when the regen kicks in.. Couple times I got a check engine light for a D'P'F temperature being too high (or something like that) Apparently when it smokes on regen it means that something is wrong with the D'P'F.

Well I pulled it off and it had small cracks on the rear etc.

Got a good wifi connection and after a couple min my truck has been freed from future headaches. D'P'F got 5 (2 3/8") holes. Need to go pick up new gaskets tomorrow.

For people that are curious, I attached my "Lets Truck" app results. This is mostly 65mph, pulling average 30k in a dry van.

Oil change is due in about 2k miles. Cant wait to see what the future holds for me :blush:

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201610/post_1621_1477469081_bffcd8ccacb2b42f6238679bf109a86b.jpg
replyreply
RE: Went to the dark side
(10-26-2016 )Aleeex Wrote:  ....
D'P'F got 5 (2 3/8") holes.

Bad move grandpa --- WHO is the idiot that told you that a bunch of small holes would be ok? -- You need that thing to BREATHE, and NOT REFLECT THE HEAT!!!... A single 8"+ hole (taking out all but an inch around the outside) is what is needed to let all the heat out. -- A bunch of small holes is NOT nearly the same thing!. It is not AIR you are trying to let out so much as it is 900+ degrees HEAT!.

You got a pyro and boost gauge on that thing? -- What are they getting to max?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I've yet to drive it far enough to know. I did see the boost around 35-36. Should know a little more later today.

I did the holes like that to muffle the sound a little. I'll probably end up punching a big hole in about a week.
replyreply
And M just to M clarify. 2
replyreply
10-28-2016, (Subject: Went to the dark side ) 
Ah big holes and sound something I can relate to
replyreply
I just did this with my Pete and c15. had small holes drilled, I just baffled the tank and put full flow mufflers on. Truck likes it better. Rumbles good but isn't loud.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
So I have about 1200 miles on this so far.. can't say anything on mileage yet..

I put the egt probe in the dozer housing right behind the turbo.

But I think I will need to go to a large hole. Egt is in the 600 range cruising. I don't like that . Full Boost stays around 33 on average.

Egt climbed to 900 on hwy 80 in utah. I let off and kept it in neighborhood of 800.

BTW truck is set to 500 and 1850
replyreply
Large hole should lower egt and raise boost. I like the noise myself.

User's Signature: I don't know sh!t from shinola!
replyreply
Some of us are based in Republic of kalifornia
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.