Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)...
04-21-2016, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)...
(04-20-2016 )joesherrie12 Wrote:  Well people I couldn't find the a gallon of the Walmart brand of gear oil so I went to auto zone and bought their brand of 85-145 gl-5 gear oil and put it in today.

Here is a link to the Sta Lube "GL4" that Rawze and a few of us use... http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL24239-G...B000M8RYMC

I normally buy it two gallons at a time, and use one gallon per oil change using Shell Rotella T oil.

That GL5 you bought, may be a bit to harsh for your internals from what I know. Here is a good white paper on the differences. http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

I believe Rawze has referenced this write up in the past. The GL5 tends to strip away the yellow metals in our motors. The GL4 is less harsh and actually protects the copper/brass components. I may be totally off base, but I would not put that in your motor until you know more.

Here is a clip from that white paper...

When someone tells you that their GL-5 covers GL-4, remember they are correct as far as EP protection, but that is only half the answer. When they say their Sulfur/Phosphorous additive will not corrode the yellow metals, they are also correct, but if there are enough to meet GL-5 protection, they will slowly peel away your brass synchronizers.

What should you do if you cannot find a GL-4 that does not include GL-5 on it's label? My next choice, and one I almost did even though I have plenty of GL-4 80W-90, would be a SAE 50 oil that meets CAT TO-4 specifications. My third choice would be a SAE 50 diesel motor oil of the highest API classification I could find, preferably group II. As you will see on the graph below, the temperature curve for a SAE 50 motor oil (or CAT transmission oil) and a SAE 80W-90 are very similar.

Hope this helps!
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... - Waterloo - 04-21-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.