Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)...
10-24-2016, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)...
I was one of the biggest doubters of Lucas when I first started trucking. I'm still skeptical, but I do have to admit that of the people I know the ones that got the most mileage before rebuilds did all use it, coincidentally or not. One guy in particular, Robert aka "Mr Grumpy" I believe has Lucas in his veins. His '05 Western Star stinger car carrier with a 14 liter Detroit went 1.6M miles and 48k hours before needing to be rebuilt for oil useage. The head had never been off, it had gone through 6 complete sets of injectors, two ecms and two wiring harnesses and several massive oil leaks on the rear structure and I can't remember how many turbos. The last 100k he was running a 50:50 mix of Lucas and Rotella, was still burning or leaking 3 gallons per week. Wanna guess what his fill oil was? Unbelievably, to me at least he still wasn't happy with an astounding 1.6M miles cause he said both his 3406 and C15 cracked 2M. So he literally junked the Detroit and repowered with 6nz cat reman.

Two guys I sent to Rawze with a '15 and a '16 Pete were a good example. The '15 had 240k miles and had used one gallon of Lucas since day one and the cams showed no wear. The '16 had 50k miles, never used any and had very noticeable wear already.
Hot idle oil pressure on the '15 was 32psi and the '16 had 21psi. They both had the same pressure going down the road. Something to think about.
Still think the stuff has little use in a Cat that has high oil pressure from the start. Couple gallons of that stuff in a Cat on a cold morning and you've got common rail pressures!
Might be something to it in engines with very little pressure from the factory. Especially in an application that requires lots of low idling.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... - Texasdude74 - 10-24-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.