6.5 whoop whoop!
11-13-2016, (Subject: 6.5 whoop whoop! ) 
6.5 whoop whoop!
My dash is showing 6.5 mpg. And still going up . 1300 miles on trip. I'm not hand calculating anything because it feels to good right now. But I do not pay for fuel either. I'm on my way to being the next hyper miler.
replyreply
RE: 6.5 whoop whoop!
(11-13-2016 )Jarhead79 Wrote:  My dash is showing 6.5 mpg. And still going up . 1300 miles on trip. I'm not hand calculating anything because it feels to good right now. But I do not pay for fuel either. I'm on my way to being the next hyper miler.

Learning something is never free. -- The benefit is that no one can ever take away from you what you learn, it will always be there to benefit you.

You are in a company truck. there is no better place to be to learn how to become profitable with your own truck. you just have to start driving it and treating it like it is yours. Slowing down and managing time is one of the hardest things to learn, and while you are company driver, there is no benefit to it at all financially. That is how it costs you to learn. The practice of such a thing when your getting paid by the mile and have no expenses, simply costs you in miles and money vs holding the fuel pedal all the way down all day.

--- BUT the rewards are worth every bit of the effort when you can say you got your company truck up to 7+ and can keep it there,.. and you have slowed down to 63 or so on your deliveries because you manage time much better. -- You get to that point, and you are in the zone for making decent money with dry-van and/or reefer freight with no problems. -- Outside of that zone,.. and you are only fooling yourself and making excuses to satisfy your own ego and nothing more.

"Drive it like you Own it, Not like you stole it".

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Also,... You need to learn to push back against all those bastard shippers that want you to kill the truck for every delivery. start refusing anything that has to go more than 600 or so miles in a single shift... Seriously,.. That or start pushing back and telling them you will be there 10 hours later!.-- ALL of them try to make tyou drive above 600~ish miles and ALL of them know tit costs THE TRUCK OWNER for all the extra effort,.. and NONE of them are willing to pay extra for it,.. THAT IS WHERE YOU LOOSE!!!!

My son, his first year of driving at age 21,... REFUSED to go more than 550 miles in a single shift,... He sat a bit more,,.. and only drove 600~634 ish max on occasion in one shift. Yes he had a qualcomm and e-logs too. But his fuel mileage was 7.5 - 8.5 in a company truck for an entire year, and they praised him for it after a couple months. He was their most profitable truck,,.. and they gave him a raise right away. -- At the end of his first year,.. he had more than $20,000 dollars in a money market account just sitting there, him ready to buy his own truck. -- We put him on our truck, and he has never looked back. He is the safest most profitable driver i have ever seen,.. and he keeps the truck moving non-stop for 11 hours straight and only goes 57 mph,..--- The truck busts $4800 - $5300+ take home every week it is on the road AFTER fuel and settlement expenses come out,.. and we haul bottom of the barrel ups, fedex, etc. freight.

We have been doing this since 2011 when we purchased it brand new. it has more than a million miles on it now,.. and we have never been late on a single load.

--- That ass##Hole on the roads driving slow and constantly changing speed,.. and annoying everyone else that is trying to use cruise control,... that s@@wipe is ME! -- i get paid way too much money to give 2 stinks holes about what e=anyone else thinks about how of how slow I drive. - See me out there doing this,.. get behind me and learn a thing or 2 about how to squeeze 9mpg out of one of these things when your loaded at 78,000 gross. otherwise, I will only simply laugh at their complaints and laugh harder knowing I have made 40% more than them on the same exact load after it is delivered.

Sad thing is, I have been challenged many times over by cow-boy truckers that say I am too damn slow,.. they go 70+, me 57... leave the same shipper,.. arrive the same destination,.. and 1 hour later,... here they show up all pissed off accusing me of speeding up. -What a joke!.

Last guy who tried it we went from chicago to Los Angeles.... 2 conway loads going same place, left same time... He showed up 2 hours later and we did the math,.. he spent roughly $300 more in fuel on that trip alone and beat the crap out of his truck to boot.

. -- Sad thing is he was an Owner-Op,.. and ungoverned truck going 70-73+ the whole way as he claimed,... Swore like hell there was no way we got there before him without running 80+. After seeing the difference,.. he STILL REFUSED to listen to reason and to listen to what works,.... He went out of business within the next year and went back to company driver like all the rest of the "keep up with traffic and pass slowpokes" drivers I met out there driving like that.

"If a man can do it,.. So can another!" -Thomas Kennamer.

"I will stay in the grandpa lane driving grandpa speeds,.. and smile all the way to the bank, watching you kill yourself for less money and twice the effort." -- this is what a friend of mine said to me after he went from absolutely broke hauling wal-mart freight for bottom dollar by his carrier and loosing everything he had on a pretty bad lease,.. to being the most profitable solo truck in their fleet,... and paying off that truck to boot.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
11-14-2016, (Subject: 6.5 whoop whoop! ) 
I just dispise the ash holes that try to pass a 60mph truck, while doing 61 mph and than cluster both lanes for 8 miles that gets me hot. And the cruise control junkies who do not know how to tap the brakes. Rant over.
I will drive 55mph on I 90, if if have the time. But I can not run for 11 hours my jjkeler elog Will not let me. I am not a outlaw like Rawze. Lol.
replyreply
(11-14-2016 )Jarhead79 Wrote:  I just dispise the ash holes that try to pass a 60mph truck, while doing 61 mph and than cluster both lanes for 8 miles that gets me hot. And the cruise control junkies who do not know how to tap the brakes. Rant over.
I will drive 55mph on I 90, if if have the time. But I can not run for 11 hours my jjkeler elog Will not let me. I am not a outlaw like Rawze. Lol.

I have e-logs and a qualcomm too,.. always have had one,.. love it.

replyreply
(11-13-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  "I will stay in the grandpa lane driving grandpa speeds,.. and smile all the way to the bank,

When other drivers ask me if I get bored going so slow all I have to say is "nope, I'm too busy counting my money"

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
I have a friend who complains that he has 5.5-6.0mpg average. He said he is driving atleast 70 all the time. I told him to slow down but he doesnt listen and says that the reason he drives so fast that he can enjoy passing everybody and he get more sleep time. I told him that my truck fuel mpg atleast 2mpg more and thats about $15000 savings every year on fuel comparing to his driving. So instead of listening to me that he needs to slow down, he just complaining and blames tires rolling resistance.
I told him that every 1mile above 55mpg loses 0.1mpg of fuel, but he still stubborn.

User's Signature: Cascadia ISX15 CM2350
replyreply
This is old knowledge. In fact it was figured out before WWII.
Aerodynamic Drag. Aerodynamic drag increases linear with speed. (At least until you're exceeding several hundred mph. Close enough for the purposes of this discussion.)
However, the HP to overcome AD does NOT increase linear. In fact to double the speed of a vehicle, the HP requirement to overcome the effects of AD squares.

Example:
Funny Cars.
Take two equal bodied FC's, one Alcohol and the other Top Fuel and put them on the starting line of a drag strip with two equally competent drivers.
It doesn't matter the fuel composition, they weigh the same, they have the same tires for traction, they have the same w/b...blah blah blah, they're equal. Except for power!
Trip the Tree and watch the race for fun if you care.
Now let's look at the tale of the test. A drag strip has timing meters located at 60', 180'(optional), 330', 660'(along with speed recording) 1000', and of coarse at the 1320' finish line (also with the speed recording).
With two competent drivers and crew chiefs tuning the cars the 60' & 180' will be nearly identical. Why? Because at this stage of the track HP has very little influence, they both have way more than enough power to spin the tires.
Let throw out the 180' to 660' because it doesn't demonstrate anything for this discussion, for or against. Note at this point the TF car is starting to pull away from the A car because traction has been overcome and aerodynamic drag is starting to take its effect.
Now we're getting somewhere. Let's look at the two cars MPH from 660' to 1320'. The Elapsed Time does not pertain to this discussion.
The TF car will be about 10% faster than the A at 660'. That means the TF car is already fighting more AD than the A car. Remember EVERYTHING except power is EQUAL between the two.
The AD requires somewhere around 75-80HP to overcome at half track. The TF car is traveling approx 190mph to the A 170.
The TF car will be somewhere around 320mph at the finish line, or nearly double the speed...and squaring the HP requirements at 5625-6400. They produce about 7500hp.
The A car on the other hand will barely break 250mph, because they only produce about 2500hp and simply cannot overcome the AD to go much faster.

Now everybody looking at this straight on will say "Well yeah stupid, the TF car has more power so of coarse it can go faster."
Yes. It does and it can.
Now look at the other side of it. The cars are EQUAL in every aspect OTHER than HP. Add speed, and the ONLY thing that changes is Aerodynamic Drag.
When Rawze says speed costs money, this is exactly what he's talking about. Any truck, I don't care who's, what, or how. EVERYTHING on THAT truck is identical at 55 and 70...EXCEPT AERODYNAMIC DRAG AND THE POWER REQUIREMENTS TO OVERCOME IT!!!

Power=Fuel=$$$ Can't change it no matter how hard you try.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Here is calculation for same truck at different speed.
Air drag formula - ./uploads/201611/post_1794_1479167028_0ced1b4341624141b6bdd9371acdb2d5.png
X - is drag force
Cx is Reinolds factor
P - is the air density
V - is the speed
S - is cross sectional area
Coze we have same Cx, P, S for simplicity we can drop them out.
How speed change air drag:
50 mph X= 50x50:2 = 1250
55 mph X= 55x55:2 = 1512
60 mph X= 60x60:2 = 1800
65 mph X= 65x65:2 = 2112
70 mph X= 70x70:2 = 2450
Now let's talk about power you need to overcome air drag force
Here is the formula to calculate: ./uploads/201611/post_1794_1479169465_757e05f4b4791a32ebeb6ad11c6efaef.png
Sucks speed play here in cube!
50mph P= 1250x50 = 62,500
55mph P= 1512x55 = 83,160
60mph P= 1800x60 = 108,000
65mph P= 2112x65 = 137,280
70mph P= 2450x70 = 171,500
Make sense? Driving just 15mph faster require more then double power to use.
In real life it even worst I don't consider aerodynamics of the truck Cx.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.