Prostar Fuel Tank Straps
11-16-2016, (Subject: Prostar Fuel Tank Straps ) 
Prostar Fuel Tank Straps
There used to be thread about Prostar Fuel Tank Straps before the big purge.

** WARNING **

If you have a Prostar with side skirts and steel tank straps, be sure to check them regularly.

I had one break on me about a year ago, and just had another one go. I was lucky both times, first time I was near a truck wrecker and this time I was at home. Here is a picture of the one that I just replaced, it hadn't quite broken through yet. I'm almost tempted to keep a spare in the truck.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201611/post_1783_1479331592_8faf8653a699a99199b23b4df59ba20f.jpg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Doublecoin
11-17-2016, (Subject: Prostar Fuel Tank Straps ) 
RE: Prostar Fuel Tank Straps
Wow, that looks pretty bad. I have the steel ones too. i don't like them much,.. they are rusting too. Have wondered if I could get stainless straps.

Maybe get new ones and coat them in POR-15?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
01-27-2023, (Subject: Prostar Fuel Tank Straps ) 
On my former truck, an '09 ProStar, I had at least 3, maybe 4 straps break. I eventually replaced them all with stainless.
./uploads/202301/post_1783_1674795745_5301381d005822ff61622ad5607318f9.jpg
The top of that picture shows that the rear strap is already stainless, because the steel one had already broken.

Jump forward to this trip, I now have a '15 ProStar and Navistar didn't correct this problem. I just had a strap break on me. It's not just trucks with side skirts, this one never had skirts. It's any ProStar that has black painted steel straps.

Can someone with 26" diameter tanks and stainless straps answer this: Is the part number 3595909C2 ? I know the strap length is 57" not counting the t-bolt. I was fortunate this trip to get a stainless one from a salvage yard, but I need 3 more now.

Nothing to do with straps, but oh how I miss the old truck. Waterloo you were right, I should have done everything in my power to rebuild that CM871, not trade it in on this truck.
replyreply
01-27-2023, (Subject: Prostar Fuel Tank Straps ) 
I am actually surprised that Navistar has not gotten sued over that issue. Those standard steel straps on them are a plague waiting to kill someone.

Mine rotted out too, made a post about it a long time ago... it seems to be the norm, not the exception.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid13890

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf
01-28-2023, (Subject: Prostar Fuel Tank Straps ) 
Try these people. Have gotten tanks and straps from them for years. Give them a call. Seem to know what they are doing. https://clevelandtank.com/fuel-tank-stra...less-steel
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , barf
01-28-2023, (Subject: Prostar Fuel Tank Straps ) 
3595909C2 is a SS strap with no step brackets. 3595906C2 is SS with two brackets for steps. 3665876C3 is a strap with brackets for steps. It wraps around the tank but does not attach to the tank frame brackets. It should be SS since it on the same illustration as the other two #'s. Nav does everything for parts by VIN now. It is possible to figure out options but they don't make it easy. Last 8 of the VIN always helps. In the paper catalog days options were pretty easy to pick out in the index. BTW if you see something you like on another truck try like hell to get the VIN. This is true for all makes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , amermextrucker , barf , hhow55
11-11-2023, (Subject: Prostar Fuel Tank Straps ) 
I had a local fab shop make new ones for me out of actual 3/16" steel strap. I needed something in an emergency, one of mine broke. Didn't even realize this was a thing. I didn't get the chance to properly prime and paint them,they're rusting again, so I've been looking into having the shop make some stainless steel ones. I dont remember exactly, but i remember bragging to my wife i had 4 new ones made for as much as it cost to buy just one from a parts place.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , barf

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.