First bypass filter change?
11-18-2016, (Subject: First bypass filter change? ) 
First bypass filter change?
I've been running an Amsoil bypass filter on my 2010 ISX since 615k. I got the truck at 607k.

I've seen improvements with oil sampling even though it now has 652k on it. So far I've been changing the oil at 15k intervals, using Rotella.

The oil no longer looks like ink, though it's obviously still black. Just wondering how long you guys who put a bypass filter on a used truck ran the first filter before changing it?
replyreply
11-19-2016, (Subject: First bypass filter change? ) 
RE: First bypass filter change?
(11-18-2016 )dhirocz Wrote:  I've been running an Amsoil bypass filter on my 2010 ISX since 615k. I got the truck at 607k.

I've seen improvements with oil sampling even though it now has 652k on it. So far I've been changing the oil at 15k intervals, using Rotella.

The oil no longer looks like ink, though it's obviously still black. Just wondering how long you guys who put a bypass filter on a used truck ran the first filter before changing it?

for the Amsoil bypass filter -- Get a propane tank level monitor strip from wal-mart (or use the back of your hand lol). When you start the truck up and the engine is still somewhat cold,... measure how high up the filter the oil is flowing (where it transitions from cold to hot as it warms up). If it is only getting warm at the top 1/4 - 1/3 of the filter, it is time to replace it. -- simple as that.

./uploads/202304/post_2_1680628341_09d319b4eb2f33efad67101b7d2cf48d.jpg or ./uploads/202304/post_2_1680628776_9ac05f0e1314ad642380dd106703d564.jpg

if ya use one of those propane level strips.. don't leave it on there. 230+ degree-F temps in a hard pull will damage it if,. not melt it. -= I found this out the hard way lol

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LargeCar , SuperTrucker , Roysbigtoys , Toolguy
10-16-2018, (Subject: First bypass filter change? ) 
I was trying to find mounting bracket for the bypass filter, but i cant find any. Does anyone knows where can i get one from, or should i just mount it to the frame?
replyreply
10-16-2018, (Subject: First bypass filter change? ) 
(10-16-2018 )Steen Wrote:  I was trying to find mounting bracket for the bypass filter, but i cant find any. Does anyone knows where can i get one from, or should i just mount it to the frame?

A tall flat piece of steel from home depot. Drill holes in top and bottom at the corners, then use some long bolts where the heads were bent over into a "J" after heating them with a torch, so that they catch onto the top and bottom of the frame rails.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Steen , Trucker Gene , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.