Turbo whisling
11-21-2016, (Subject: Turbo whisling ) 
Turbo whisling
Had an actuator code, 2387 I think, when I took of the actuator the VG lever wouldn't budge. Obviously carbon build up on VG face and vanes. I had the used one that I purchased on e bay and being Sunday afternoon, no parts store open, I put it on to run the next 3 days. Now I have a whistle sound when boosting that gets louder with boost pressure. I believe it to be an exhaust leak where the turbo mounts since I had to reuse the gasket. Is this a possibility? Runs fine, better than with the old turbo, and I checked all the CAC hoses. No codes now. So will an exhaust leak at the turbo, the egr, or the exhaust pipe behind the turbo cause this whistling noise?

User's Signature: I don't know sh!t from shinola!
replyreply
RE: Turbo whisling
Yes. Any gaskets or clamp seams on the exhaust tract all the way to the DPF outlet can and will cause whistles, chirps, and/or squeals.
Had the gasket go for crap with a loose clamp at the back side of the DPF and it made one hell of a racket until I fixed it.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Looks like I get to pull the turbo off again then. Fun fun, at least I don't lose my load for today. Thanks. I know the one at the egr to the ventury is leaking, has been, but never made any noise before.

replyreply
(11-21-2016 )Dcolumbia Wrote:  Had an actuator code, 2387 I think, when I took of the actuator the VG lever wouldn't budge. Obviously carbon build up on VG face and vanes. I had the used one that I purchased on e bay and being Sunday afternoon, no parts store open, I put it on to run the next 3 days. Now I have a whistle sound when boosting that gets louder with boost pressure. I believe it to be an exhaust leak where the turbo mounts since I had to reuse the gasket. Is this a possibility? Runs fine, better than with the old turbo, and I checked all the CAC hoses. No codes now. So will an exhaust leak at the turbo, the egr, or the exhaust pipe behind the turbo cause this whistling noise?

Had an exhaust gasket go on mine. Really squealed when the Turbo actuator would move into a place where it would create a back pressure. I think it's starting to go again already. A mechanic buddy of mine was replacing a gasket set on another truck and when I told him of my situation he said that they found that they had to do a little grinding on some of the manifolds to get them to seal properly.
replyreply
(11-21-2016 )Dcolumbia Wrote:  Had an actuator code, 2387 I think, when I took of the actuator the VG lever wouldn't budge. Obviously carbon build up on VG face and vanes. I had the used one that I purchased on e bay and being Sunday afternoon, no parts store open, I put it on to run the next 3 days. Now I have a whistle sound when boosting that gets louder with boost pressure. I believe it to be an exhaust leak where the turbo mounts since I had to reuse the gasket. Is this a possibility? Runs fine, better than with the old turbo, and I checked all the CAC hoses. No codes now. So will an exhaust leak at the turbo, the egr, or the exhaust pipe behind the turbo cause this whistling noise?

As well, when the engine is cold, start the engine and take a bottle of soapy water and spray around all the gaskets and you'll find it
replyreply
01-19-2017, (Subject: Turbo whisling ) 
I fixed that leak and the whisling noise was gone, ran great but was still losing coolant from the egr cooler. So ended up taking the turbo back off to fix the cooler issue. I had a brand new turbo gasket sitting with the new exhaust manifold gaskets and for some reason, could not find the gasket, so I had to reuse the existing gasket. Figured I would replace it when I got home the next weekend. Now I have not been able to get to it and the truck has been running great for the past couple weeks but I still suspect a turbo leak somewhere. Today the truck just would not boost past 30 to 34 and has less power than yesterday. And pulling some hills, it skips, kinda feels like it isn't getting fuel for a split second then comes right back. Now it isn't always boosting with the Jake's and throwing a code when it doesn't. Threw the code for 9 counts up and down 75 from Kentucky to 26 in North Carolina. Any ideas before I go and buy a new turbo?

replyreply
Have you checked the CAC? Maybe pressure test it to see if that is the possible cause.
replyreply
Brand new 2 months ago.

replyreply
(01-19-2017 )Dcolumbia Wrote:  Brand new 2 months ago.

Ive seen brand new ones leak
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , overshot

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.