Paccar MX-13 tuning
01-11-2017, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
RE: Paccar MX-13 tuning
I will not deny that I am partial to the red moter because that's the moter that I have always driven, however I do have to admit that probly the most reliable platform for high torque and power are undeniably caterpillar, and if cummins continues to build inferior products, they will only hurt themselves, I would if a company produces a product and it is know to have problems or defects, they would do everything in thier power to improve and eliminate issues, otherwise people get fed up and move to a competitor product who realize that you don't win customers by building inferior engines,
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Texasdude74
06-03-2017, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
Did anyone make it any further with this, I just a bought a 2015 t680 mx-13 485hp, that's crying out to be liberated from the mandate B.S.

If anyone has I'd be interested to know the results.
replyreply
06-04-2017, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
(06-03-2017 )Black sheep freight Wrote:  Did anyone make it any further with this, I just a bought a 2015 t680 mx-13 485hp, that's crying out to be liberated from the mandate B.S.

If anyone has I'd be interested to know the results.

I now know several people that have fixed Paccars. But not by anyone on this board. I believe Unilever may have some options for them but I'm not certain of this. Last I heard Gearhead was working on it but wasn't 100% there yet. I'd contact Gearhead first since it was his tune that led to the first (and still only) common rail ISX powered car carrier to reach 400k miles on one engine and then 500k miles, truck currently has 563k and hopes to be the first to crack 600k! Truly uncharted territory. 300-400% durability improvement.

If you're going to do it, stick with VGT. Guys that have converted to old school turbo report their jake is about equal to ISX on first setting. I don't think I could live with that.

It's hard for me to adapt to recommending a smaller motor. My entire life I've subscribed to the theory that there is no replacement for displacement. Hardcore big block guy I've always been. But, in the turbo world all that really matters is can you spool a turbo large enough for your power desires at an engine speed you can use and will the bottom end handle that power. Variable geometry turbos and common rail fuel systems make it so much easier to reach a given power level and rpm with a smaller motor. In the 500-600 horse power and 1850-2050 torque range 15-16 liter engines are really no longer necessary. In fact, if you have to shorten the deck height, rod length and piston compression height to fit a 15L engine in a modern aero truck, you can make an honest argument that the larger motor is at a clear disadvantage.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Black sheep freight
I plan to run flatbed with this truck, grossing upto 80k, and sometimes substantially less, and I don't tend to run around like a chook with its head cutoff so while 15/16l would be nice it's overkill.

I've pm'd unilevers but will also hit up gearhead, and see if they have or can recommend a tune to suit. I'm aware of the other options out there but as has been seen in the isx world some of the quality of these tunes is questionable at best...

Lastly certainly would keep the Vgt and would run a mile from anyone who suggested switching to a fixed geometry turbo in this application.
replyreply
(06-04-2017 )Black sheep freight Wrote:  I plan to run flatbed with this truck, grossing upto 80k, and sometimes substantially less, and I don't tend to run around like a chook with its head cutoff so while 15/16l would be nice it's overkill.

I've pm'd unilevers but will also hit up gearhead, and see if they have or can recommend a tune to suit. I'm aware of the other options out there but as has been seen in the isx world some of the quality of these tunes is questionable at best...

Lastly certainly would keep the Vgt and would run a mile from anyone who suggested switching to a fixed geometry turbo in this application.

If all these so-called delete shops and custom tuning guys can't even get an ISX right, it open as can be and nothing hidden, I doubt that they would fair any better with a different brand of engine. -- Just because you might have found some guys with that special screwdriver to tweak on one does not mean they have any idea how to use it properly.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Serega , Texasdude74
(06-04-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(06-04-2017 )Black sheep freight Wrote:  I plan to run flatbed with this truck, grossing upto 80k, and sometimes substantially less, and I don't tend to run around like a chook with its head cutoff so while 15/16l would be nice it's overkill.

If all these so-called delete shops and custom tuning guys can't even get an ISX right, it open as can be and nothing hidden, I doubt that they would fair any better with a different brand of engine. -- Just because you might have found some guys with that special screwdriver to tweak on one does not mean they have any idea how to use it properly.

My point exactly, having seen the horror stories on this site about bad tunes, there is very few people I'd trust, to tune it, versus leaving it as is and staying super diligent with maintenance of the emissions system. Hence before jumping off the cliff doing the DD on it and tracking down the right man for the job.

As mentioned I've Pm'd unilevers but understand he's just had a newborn (congrats, and I know EXACTLY what that's like!) and I'll ring gearhead tomorrow.
replyreply
06-06-2017, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
Paccar calibrations comes with A2L files.
replyreply
10-03-2017, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
First major problem with a MX13 in the car carrier world. Pete 389 of course 2016 500/1850 with just over 200k miles. Unknown what caused issue with injector but bore scope revealed trashed piston and liner. Pete store is just replacing entire engine. Imagine that, someone standing behind a product these days?

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201710/post_895_1507082488_759a7666ad250fc56a05a8f900d83096.jpeg./uploads/201710/post_895_1507082521_ec08451bfd4180aea553828200e588f4.jpeg./uploads/201710/post_895_1507082544_b029367993453fdcfd0e1962c7dad9bf.jpeg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: gatow900 , snailexpress , fargonaz
10-13-2017, (Subject: Paccar MX-13 tuning ) 
Yes, paccar does not play around. This is not the first time I have seen them replace the entire engine. How is the new engine e running ? You should have a few miles on her by now?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.