my reply to an e-mail.
11-23-2016, (Subject: my reply to an e-mail. ) 
my reply to an e-mail.
Anonymous user Wrote:My name is Will. I am in the market for purchasing a truck. I love Volvo. I want to purchase a 2012 or 2013, but am being told to avoid the volvo motors, also Cummins isx, because of egr issues. Everyone steers me towards detroit, but none are in Volvo. Should I let all the egr issues prevent me from buying what I love? Please help. Will

If you live in a foreign country that does not have emissions laws,..

{**Content removed by protection bot**- content.}

​As far as Volvo goes,... I know people like them, but they come at a cost. The intake piping is much smaller compared to other trucks, the engine compartment does not breathe well, exhaust is restrictive, etc.etc... making for lower fuel mileage overall. Because the engine compartment cannot breathe well, the turbocharger suffers 100 degree hotter temps than any other brand/style of truck. This shortens its lifespan by about 2/3 the nor on average.

They are the ABSOLUTE LEAST fuel efficient of all the newer Aero trucks on the road by about 0.6 mpg due to the restrictions alone when stacking them up against other trucks like Prostar, Cascadia, and KW-T700's. Add this into your business model and they are not so pretty to look at any more if you ask me.

Many of them also have the I-shift as well. There goes another 0.6 mpg loss easily, as compared to a decent driver with a 13-speed.

Those costs add up to a minimum of $34,000 extra over the lifetime of the truck for fuel, and an increase cost of 1 more turbocharger replacements as compare to other brands of truck,.. I.E. roughly $4,000 more.

Total cost of owning a Volvo over its lifetime as compared to say a Prostar, or Cascadia -- $38,000 more dollars. - Add an I-shift to that and your looking at $77 - 78,000 over its lifetime.

Still in love with Volvo? -- I certainly would not own one, as I cannot justify those kind of losses while hauling dry-van and/or reefer freight over tis lifetime. That is enough to buy a second used truck, and or a lot of extra driving when I could have been sitting at home with some days off but that is just me.

-- do you even know what you are looking for in a truck? -- Tranny?, clutch? Type of freight your going to be moving and rear ratio? driving speeds so that you can maximize your profits? etc... -- Last I checked, the trucking industry does not have much room for error any more, so you had best KNOW what you are looking for with a solid foundation if you want to actually take home a decent paycheck.

Just though i would mention that, most drivers have no clue when looking at getting a truck, then wonder why they suffer and make little to no profit.
replyreply
11-23-2016, (Subject: my reply to an e-mail. ) 
RE: my reply to an e-mail.
There is nothing wrong with driving what you love and can be proud of... But you should absolutely know what that is costing you so you can either justify it to yourself, or be prepared for the losses that might come with said "proudness".

Personally, I prefer to be proud of squeezing as much long term money as possible out of what I do, putting it in the bank so that I can spend it however I like instead of having to shell it all back out in operating costs. For this reason, big flat nose trucks, Volvo's, and anything with a lot of chrome on it flying down the highway at 70+ mph is just plain ugly and nothing to be proud of to me.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
12-08-2016, (Subject: my reply to an e-mail. ) 
Volvo has created a new OTR highwaytractor with superb spaceship aerodynamics. They are taking orders in SC for $345,000 the last time I saw their ad. If I find that ad and photo again I will post the photo.

Insane money for a tractor that still runs on diesel.
replyreply
I'm one of those Volvo lovers. However, it's not because I'm more proud to drive one. It's because I'm more comfortable driving one. I've driven a Cascadia, a Prostar, and a Volvo. I feel the most comfortable in the Volvo. I know it has it's drawbacks but I try and drive it to minimize those drawbacks. I change the oil every 10,000 miles (to try and minimize soot buildup and oil breakdown) and I don't go faster than 65 mph (I would go slower but with how the gearing is I can't). My engine is also only rated for 400hp (it used to be my company truck). I'm not sure if that helps with underhood temps or not as the engine isn't pushing as much as it could. As far as mpgs, I usually average low 7's in the winter and I flirt with 8 in the summer. Now, I do plan on getting that sweet, sweet Georgia fix-it program come spring time which I think will help with some of my truck's drawbacks. I only run the northeast, so I need to figure a way to get down there.

Now granted, I have had one turbo replacement (at 389k miles) which they also replaced the DOC and DPF. But, it was covered under warranty (thankfully). Other than that, I've just put oil and fuel in it (i'm now at 418k).

I think a Volvo is a nice truck, with a Cummins and a 10 or 13 speed manual. I know a lot of people do not like it and it does have it's drawbacks. But every truck comes with drawbacks.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
(12-08-2016 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  I'm one of those Volvo lovers. However, it's not because I'm more proud to drive one. It's because I'm more comfortable driving one. I've driven a Cascadia, a Prostar, and a Volvo. I feel the most comfortable in the Volvo. I know it has it's drawbacks but I try and drive it to minimize those drawbacks. I change the oil every 10,000 miles (to try and minimize soot buildup and oil breakdown) and I don't go faster than 65 mph (I would go slower but with how the gearing is I can't). My engine is also only rated for 400hp (it used to be my company truck). I'm not sure if that helps with underhood temps or not as the engine isn't pushing as much as it could. As far as mpgs, I usually average low 7's in the winter and I flirt with 8 in the summer. Now, I do plan on getting that sweet, sweet Georgia fix-it program come spring time which I think will help with some of my truck's drawbacks. I only run the northeast, so I need to figure a way to get down there.

Now granted, I have had one turbo replacement (at 389k miles) which they also replaced the DOC and DPF. But, it was covered under warranty (thankfully). Other than that, I've just put oil and fuel in it (i'm now at 418k).

I think a Volvo is a nice truck, with a Cummins and a 10 or 13 speed manual. I know a lot of people do not like it and it does have it's drawbacks. But every truck comes with drawbacks.
i think gearhead has shop in maryland,you can get @m*m^2 done there i believe
replyreply
12-09-2016, (Subject: my reply to an e-mail. ) 
Glider truck is a option perhaps? Have a non ela engine and dependability. I've heard good from Brock I believe auto 18 speed Volvo with D12 truck. And I've spoke to a driver in PA with a new Volvo powered truck with auto trans and it literally ate the hills I had a ungoverened Detroit and I could not catch up were were both near 80k. But my 10 speed and 3.55 axles also hurt my hill pulling.
replyreply
12-09-2016, (Subject: my reply to an e-mail. ) 
(12-08-2016 )smitty1243 Wrote:  i think gearhead has shop in maryland,you can get @m*m^2 done there i believe

I was unaware of that. For some reason, I thought his shop was out west.

I was already planning on going to the 12 Hours of Sebring race in Florida in March and instead of flying there, I was going to get some loads together so I could drive there. Figured I'd make a pit stop over in Hotlanta area on my way back to the Nor'East.

But now I have options.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.