New Radio or add bluetooth to existing
11-23-2016, (Subject: New Radio or add bluetooth to existing ) 
New Radio or add bluetooth to existing
I'm looking for either a new radio that comes with bluetooth or adding a bluetooth device to my current radio for phone calls and streaming music from my phone. It's going in a 2008 volvo vnl. I like my factory radio except for it's appetite for cds. I could add something like a parrot MKi9100 which seems expensive when compared to a new radio with bluetooth.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_333MKI9100/...l?tp=64426

Or I've looked at the jensen hd radios from this place that come with a wiring harness and all.

http://www.bigrigstereo.com/jhd3630btb.html

Any thoughts or experience with either of these two products?
replyreply
RE: New Radio or add bluetooth to existing
I don't have any experience with either of those two products, but I will say that on the automotive side Jensen is about the bottom of the barrel. If their HD line is any better I can't say.

What I can tell you is that nearly any standard DIN size radio, which is a regular one, not one that looks like a small TV, will be fine. I've had many different radios in everything from an R model Mack, to a 2005 Sterling(which rode like a basketball going down the road), to Air-ride Petes and rubber block suspensions. One caveat is that I haven't done CDs for years, usually run everything through my phone or had Sirius. But my guess is that you have air-ride, in which case you'll be fine.

Just using Crutchfield as an example, any of these would work for you I believe:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X4900BT/...ml?tp=5684

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR880B/...ml?tp=5684

Stick with a name brand, i.e.- JVC, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony, Clarion, and you should be happy with the results. I would try to find a unit in the $100 to $150 range, it will do more than enough.

You will also need the wiring harness, which the BigRigStereo place has I believe, or any Volvo dealer should be able to find for you. You do *not* want to cut and splice your factory harness, so you buy an extra one and mate it to the harness on whatever radio you choose to buy. It's very simple and best of all you should save a whole lot of money.

I hope I wasn't too long winded, especially for a first post, but I've been doing stereos for years and want to believe I can point you in the right direction to enjoy your time in the truck.
replyreply
Thanks for the ideas. The big thing I liked about the Jensen radio was the big buttons. Most new name brand radios have such small buttons and busy displays that I look for something simple. Bigger buttons are easier to find and use when switching stations while driving.
replyreply
11-24-2016, (Subject: New Radio or add bluetooth to existing ) 
I have Kenwood Excelon KDC-997 i believe. simple, big buttons. Large uncluttered easy to read display, easy to navigate interface. bluetooth, USB and change it to whatever color you like. a little on the higher side of the price spectrum but I am a big fan of a nice sounding stereo.

Like rock3r said, get a harness from big rig stereo, or do some research. I know Some Delphi radios found in trucks use Volkswagen style connectors, but i have no idea about Volvo.
replyreply
Here you go, $200... https://amzn.to/2V9rEQu

BIG button... Connects to the cell phone and internet... I have this controlling 3400 watts through three amps... Custom RE Sub... Cab ROCKS!!!! Took me three days to do the install in my driveway... All Polk Audio gear, speakers and amps... A little woodworking involved, and a case or two of beer... I'm 51 and wear Bi-Focals... Table saw, Dremel and router... The screen on the head unit is spot on, has HUGE Clock, date and time too... Perfect trucker radio... Just wish it had NOAA... AM reception is pretty good too. You go this route, a little wiring is involved... Worth the time... She has held up better than my truck over the past year she has been installed. Highly recommend.
replyreply
^^^ My old man has that exact one in his truck. Very good radio.
replyreply
(11-24-2016 )Matt Wrote:  ^^^ My old man has that exact one in his truck. Very good radio.

This thing ROCKS! Movies, radio, iPhone... It does it all, and is easy, EASY to navigate. So much to this thing with the iPhone and internet... Plug in a few amplifiers... All I know is this, I had to turn it down, as my eyes started bleeding...
;-)

The sound you can get out of this unit is pretty darn good with the right amount of power... And power is the key, not loudness, but sound. Crisp highs, and very LOW LOWS... Can you say BASS? Polk MM speakers, three Polk class D amps, and an RE 10" sub in double baffled custom enclosure from my local car audio shop.

One of these days I need to post some photos, I did the install of it all... More to it than just plugging in a head unit... Took me a few days and a few beers... BUT, it was worth it, especially when tired... AC-DC comes on and I'm good for a few more hours!
replyreply
I've had an Alpine CDE-143BT for at least 3 years now, no problems. Even when my overhead console leaks and drips water on the stereo. My previous JVC stereo died because of water. It's a cheap model that has a USB plug and aux in on the front. This stereo has bluetooth, but forget that, use a headset for talking on the phone. For music; I have a tiny 16gb USB stick, the size of a wireless mouse dongle. It just looks like a button on the stereo. I have a separate XM radio that plugs into the aux in. It has an input for steering wheel buttons that I've never looked into connecting.
replyreply
11-25-2016, (Subject: New Radio or add bluetooth to existing ) 
Waterloo,
What model Polk amps did you install? I've had my eye on the PA5000 5 ch.class D for awhile
Did you bridge the amps?
Very difficult to get accurate power ratings on car audio. I look at RMS power/channel, THD, Signal to noise ratios. High power amps with lots of overhead available power pushing 10 watts RMS of clean power is enough to blow most people out of the cab.
As far as head units, Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer are all top shelf.

I have 4 Polk speakers on my home system that I bought direct from Polk as refurbs. Couldn't tell the difference between new. Very happy with them.

I'm interested in what you did with the speakers.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.