Valve cam and Injector replacement
11-24-2016, (Subject: Valve cam and Injector replacement ) 
Valve cam and Injector replacement
Hey guys, member 8042 came by the shop today and we're doing a few improvements to his CM871.
One of his valve cam lobes has some scarring on it. We are curious about how long it takes to R&R the valve cam on a Prostar...

Oh what fun we are having...

./uploads/201611/post_2077_1479966966_217071399a590cbf2d954246afd0041c.jpeg

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
11-25-2016, (Subject: Valve cam and Injector replacement ) 
RE: Valve cam replacement
Well we did some tests and found that he had some leaking injectors, #s 2 & 6, with #4 causing water level movement but not bubbles.
He had replaced all 6 back in March, and golly gee guess what? Yup they of course were on the recall list! We popped all 6 and off to Cummins we went...they had ZERO clue what he was talking about with our recall memo we have here on this fine info bank.
They finally agreed that it looks legit, but being US Thanksgiving they couldn't get any authorization to swap all 6..."but wait, what do you mean these three are leaking? There is no way to know that!"
So I showed them Cummins part number 3164001 and injector leak testing procedure 006-026 on Quickserve. Both the Shop Manager & Shop Foreman HAD NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE!!! They even went into thier own inhouse QS to verify it, and yes this was CUMMINS WESTERN CANADA EDMONTON!
After their enlightenment, from a pair friggin truck drivers, they gave 8042 three new reman injectors (all dated post notice) and new O-rings for the other three and back to the shop we went...
We installed the "new" injectors in the rear bank so if they come good for the other three they're the easy ones to change. We reinstalled all the rocker assy's and I showed 8042 how I run an overhead on an ISX.

We also found:
1)The little tab that clamps the IMAP sensor in place was bent up, not holding it securely into it's position in the intake. Probably causing a boost leak.
2)When his previous removal was done, they never removed the center electrical pin from the Delta-P sensor, so he pulled it off to do this and guess what? Yup, more high quality workmanship, THERE WERE NO FRICKIN SQUARE O-RINGS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE SENSOR!!! Yup, more boost leaks!

Well we got all this done, and fired it up. It runs nice and smooth.
I'll let him tell his cam story if he wants.
It's not real bad, but needs attention shortly. For now due to time, on both our parts, and cost & situation he's running the cam until we can get some time to bang that in...

Hope it runs well for you for the time being 8042!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
RE: Valve cam replacement
So now my head scratcher question of the day...

He replaced all 6 injectors back in March because # 2 & 6 failed the bubble test and they were the originals so he thought best to do them all at once.

Now here we are in Nov, and once again it was # 2 & 6 that failed again. No. 4 was just starting. Is it just coincidence that the same two injectors were leaking, or does this indicate that we may need to investigate further?
If so, what is it we may be missing?

replyreply
RE: Valve cam and Injector replacement
First of all I want to thank hammerhead for opening his tool box and giving up his days off for two hard days work. He told most of the story in the previous posts, it was very frustrating at Cummins having them going over the injectors with a fine tooth comb and saying I fabricated the parts notice to "scam new injectors from them". The came to Jesus moment, was when Hammerhead quoted the part no for the bubble tester and where in Quickserve the test is described, again this was EDMONTON CUMMINS.
The manager was astonished that "two Fucking truck drivers new more than the service and parts manager". (His words)

I also want to thank Unilevers he had spent hours with with me working on my tune against stupid boost leaks that I should have found.

Rawze thank you also for having this site so we can learn meet and help each other!

The good news, this truck has never run so smooth, and my smoke shifts are gone! Yahoo it has never not givin a puff with a shift.

AGain THANKYOU ALL

Dave
replyreply
11-26-2016, (Subject: Valve cam and Injector replacement ) 
(11-25-2016 )8042 Wrote:  First of all I want to thank hammerhead for opening his tool box and giving up his days off for two hard days work. He told most of the story in the previous posts, it was very frustrating at Cummins having them going over the injectors with a fine tooth comb and saying I fabricated the parts notice to "scam new injectors from them". The came to Jesus moment, was when Hammerhead quoted the part no for the bubble tester and where in Quickserve the test is described, again this was EDMONTON CUMMINS.
The manager was astonished that "two Fucking truck drivers new more than the service and parts manager". (His words)

I also want to thank Unilevers he had spent hours with with me working on my tune against stupid boost leaks that I should have found.

Rawze thank you also for having this site so we can learn meet and help each other!

The good news, this truck has never run so smooth, and my smoke shifts are gone! Yahoo it has never not givin a puff with a shift.

AGain THANKYOU ALL

Dave

It is so incredibly sad how under-trained these stealers and their techs really are.

I shake my head. :waaaht:

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
12-28-2016, (Subject: Valve cam and Injector replacement ) 
(11-26-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(11-25-2016 )8042 Wrote:  First of all I want to thank hammerhead for opening his tool box and giving up his days off for two hard days work. He told most of the story in the previous posts, it was very frustrating at Cummins having them going over the injectors with a fine tooth comb and saying I fabricated the parts notice to "scam new injectors from them". The came to Jesus moment, was when Hammerhead quoted the part no for the bubble tester and where in Quickserve the test is described, again this was EDMONTON CUMMINS.

AGain THANKYOU ALL

Dave

It is so incredibly sad how under-trained these stealers and their techs really are.

I shake my head. :waaaht:
I can actually relate
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.