Forced Regen will not start, Reply to e-mail 11-25-2016
11-26-2016, (Subject: Forced Regen will not start, Reply to e-mail 11-25-2016 ) 
Forced Regen will not start, Reply to e-mail 11-25-2016
'One Rich' Wrote:Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving.

So basically I took it to the Volvo dealerships and like you said "turbo, turbo, turbo" they insisted that's why the regen was not taking place. So they switch the turbo out and it still doesn't regen... they said when they do a manual regen the turbo is not allowing the temperature to go up high enough to activate the regen so the new turbo is not good... my question to you is do you think the turbo is the problem? Can it be any other reason why the temperature is not going up high enough to activate the regen? Check for exhaust leaks and found nothing... is it actually the turbo?

Yup, they hosed you for a turbo because they are absolutely clueless and shoving a big pink dildo up your arse as usual!. -- That is what you get in return for letting them work on your truck. -- Reemed in the asse for thousands of dollars in parts you don't need while they guess blindly and waste all you money. -- Last I checked freight didn't pay for you to be able to let someone guess blindly at your problems all day and hose you for every expensive part they can.

I am not there, and cannot tell what your problems might be, or what the failed regen cycle actually looked like. From the vague statement you gave me, i can only assume for a moment that the DOC inlet temp was not getting to 550 degrees+ for the regen to start. IT Is ALMOST NEVER THE TURBO, BUT -- Sometimes a brand new one has enough restriction to bring the temps up a bit higher BECAUSE It IS NOT BROKEN IN YET! and then the tech can say "SEE, I told you it was the turbo" -- only to later, in a month or 2, after it breaks in,... fail again because the actual problem is not fixed.

FFFF the goddam dealer they are completely useless!!

The process I would have taken if i owned or had just gotten that truck, and it did that ... I would ...

* Look in Insite to make sure you had the EXACT program that your engine requires for your model Volvo and that no one has "changed the power" etc. by putting a different program in the ECM. <- A lot of guys do this "up the horsepower" crap and have regen problems because they have wrong program even though the CPL matches. I see dumbasse mechanics that do this for people. - They put program into Volvo that is made for Peterbilt or other brand of truck to raise HP, and then wonder why it has trouble when things aren't perfect. Same engine CPL data does NOT mean Same truck make and model! or the same intake and exhaust components and flow rates!. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT PROGRAM THAT CAME FROM THE FACTORY IN YOUR ENGINE FIRST AND FOREMOST!.

* check the regen history etc. and see if it has had trouble long term.

* Pressure test the entire engine to see if there are any Charge Air cooler, intake, intake manifold, Exhaust manifold, EGR piping, etc. etc. etc. for leaks. Sometimes the damn air compressor will bleed off charge air and make it hard to regen, I have seen the dambdest things, so I pressure test the WHOLE ENGINE for leaks instead of just the CAC or some part of it.

* Pressure tested the coolant system and ensure the EGR cooler and head/head gasket is not leaky.

* Inspect and if any of these engine sensors were more than 100k miles old, or were really sooty and/or dirty and clean or replace them. this would be the IMAP, Exhaust back-pressure, Delta-P sensors, etc.

* I would clean out the EGR piping and crossover tubes to the Delta-P. I would have also tested the EGR valve to ensure it could open all the way, and then close all the way by removing the Venturi pipe and checking the flow coming off it. Unplugging the EGR temp sensor will make the EGR valve shut all the way, and pugging it back in will make it open all the way when the Venturi pipe is off. -- It should be VERY LITTLE OR NONE AT ALL when closed and a WHOLE LOT when open (more than a hair dryer). - I would at the VERY LEAST, remove it and clean it out and give it a good inspection if it had not been off in more than 200-300k miles as well.

* I would MANUALLY CONTROL the turbocharger and verify it could travel its full range and with it 95 - 98% closed, check for manifold leaks etc. and as well, ensure at 100% closed that it could almost stall the engine out, choking it down hard. this would tell me if it was somewhat operating properly, and If I had any question about it, I would remove the actuator and give it a good inspection LONG BEFORE I started accusing it of being a problem. Old turbo's are not BAD turbo's just because the damn engine cannot regen properly. It is 99% ALWAYS something else if it passes an inspection, the VG ring is moving freely like it should, and the actuator gears are not sloppy and worn out. I would ALSO re-calibrate it properly when putting it back together.

* I would do an injector leak-test and ensure it didn't have a leaky injector, starving the cylinders of proper fuel back through the rail, and do a cylinder Cut-out test after, firing the engine on ONE CYLINDER AT a TIME to see the health of each cylinder.

* I WOULD ENSURE The Doser injector was not more than 250k miles old and ensure the nozzle was clean!. I would also crank the truck and look at it while the engine was idling (doser pipe removed from the back of the turbo) to ensure it was NOT getting wet and was NOT leaking fuel or coolant out of the nozzle. I see them do this a LOT!.

* I would inspect/smoke-test the exhaust piping very well between the back of the turbo and the front of the DOC/DPF unit to ensure there were NO exhaust leaks at all, and make sure there were no gaskets leaking.

* I would DO A FORCE REGEN and use a temp gun to see what the temps on the manifold for each cylinder was while the engine was heating up to verify that all cylinders were firing properly and that one was not running cold. I would ALSO VERIFY the DOC Inlet temp to ensure the temp sensor was good and reading properly!.

--- {not going to start mentioning the DOC/DPf, sensors, etc. for now, there is a LOT of things more that I would do to them as well if I still had trouble or was unsure of their conditions}

-- You had better damn believe that I could have figured out what the FF was wrong with it,... IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!--- BUT THE GODDAM DEALERS ARE NOT ABOUT TO ACTUALLY FIX IT!!--- INSTEAD THEY WILL PUT SOME MORON OF AN ASSHOLE ON IT AND CONNECT THE COMPUTER AND REPLACE shi#t UNTIL IT MAGICALLY WORKED AGAIN INSTEAD OF FINDING OUT WTF IS WRONG AND TESTING EVERYTHING PROPERLY!.

Just my thoughts on it -- Rawze

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.