High EGT......HELP!!!!
11-26-2016, (Subject: High EGT......HELP!!!! ) 
High EGT......HELP!!!!
Hello everybody, this is my first time posting here, I've been doing a lot of reading and like what I see. So I'm going to throw my issue out there and see if I can get any help. I've got a 2009 KW ISB with the 6.7 Cummins rollback. When the temperatures outside are above about 70 degrees I get the red engine shut down light....(knock on wood the engine has never shut down) but the light will blink and beep 1-3 times. Now that the temperatures have dropped outside I'm getting a check engine light. I've had it to the dealership to read the codes and am told it's not throwing any codes just reading high exhaust gas temperatures. All of this seems to take place after brief idling for loading and unloading vehicles. I have replaced the turbo, had the catalyst filter and dpf filters cleaned and baked. I have cleaned the soot from the egr valve to the egr cooler, I have replace crankcase sensor, the sensor in the crossover tube, the sensor under the cooler, both of these sensors I am told are egt temperature sensors. I'm well into $20,000 trying to resolve this issue through the dealership and trying to resolve the issue myself. I am at my wits end and am coming here with hopes of resolving. Any help is greatly appreciated.
replyreply
RE: High EGT......HELP!!!!
you are probably losing Boost Pressure, look for exhaust or intake leaks.

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
Thanks for the reply.....is there a way to test for an intake leak.....the dealership had taken the intake off to clean out carbon buildup.....do you think it is possible they re-used a bad gasket when putting it back together ?
replyreply
I would look for intake boots not sealed correctly, overtightened boot clamps, possible bad intake gasket (crimped, cut, reused), also possible warped intake manifold.......they took it off while warm or hot, didn't let it cool...or didn't remove it in reverse of retorque sequence...

Suggest a "smoke test" on the intake system...

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply
in what area of the country are you?, there are lots of shops and members here that are willing to help.

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply
(11-26-2016 )scottydogtruck Wrote:  I would look for intake boots not sealed correctly, overtightened boot clamps, possible bad intake gasket (crimped, cut, reused), also possible warped intake manifold.......they took it off while warm or hot, didn't let it cool...or didn't remove it in reverse of retorque sequence...

Suggest a "smoke test" on the intake system...

Thanks for the reply Scottydog, I can't remember if they had the truck overnight or not, but point taken and I will question them about it......I'm not sure about these bigger diesel trucks....I have owned the Ford 7.3's and 6.0's and could work on them inside and out. But this truck I drive a whole lot more and not sure about what I am doing with it.
replyreply
(11-26-2016 )Hedley Wrote:  in what area of the country are you?, there are lots of shops and members here that are willing to help.

Colonial Heights, Virginia
replyreply
Sorry I forgot to mention, when the light comes on, I'll find a safe place to pull over and shut the truck off for a few minutes and the light will go out.....Thanks for any and all help I greatly appreciate it.
replyreply
11-27-2016, (Subject: High EGT......HELP!!!! ) 
Are you sure it's not just doing a regen? It's normal for the high exhaust tell tale to light up during regen. That would explain no codes.
Did the stealership give you a copy of aftertreatment history? Probably not.

Do you have a Pyro on it? A good pyro with sending unit will give you a true picture.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/productim...e_Main.jpg

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.