What can be done to help a Volvo breath better.....
12-02-2016, (Subject: What can be done to help a Volvo breath better..... ) 
RE: What can be done to help a Volvo breath better.....
Since our Volvo trucks are a breed all their own and differ from other brands, Who is the best person to go to for tuning them?

Edited to add: My Volvo has the cummins isx.
replyreply
12-03-2016, (Subject: What can be done to help a Volvo breath better..... ) 
(11-29-2016 )Brock Wrote:  They just aren't designed for the isx, 100% of r&d goes into integrated volvo powertrain.

Bingo. From what I've seen and heard, a Volvo truck with a Volvo engine and a Volvo I-Shift is a pretty decent truck. That is, until it needs fixin'. Then might as well start burning cash for fun, cause you will be going through a lot of it.

I wish my Volvo was designed better so that my ISX can run the way it should.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
(12-02-2016 )ClarkWGriswold Wrote:  Since our Volvo trucks are a breed all their own and differ from other brands, Who is the best person to go to for tuning them?

That would be Rawze, Gearhead, or Unilevers.
replyreply
(12-02-2016 )ClarkWGriswold Wrote:  Since our Volvo trucks are a breed all their own and differ from other brands, Who is the best person to go to for tuning them?

It's not easy and no one will get you any better mileage,they can remove other things that might help mileage, if you choose that but make sure you keep all you old parts. also Jerrys Diesel in Canada can work on Volvo's. But hey Volvo's get good mileage anyway, they also get more miles than most engines, If your comparing them to cummins.and my last two Volvo's have had cummins and never again, But you can spend a lot of money on them when tuning and when you get caught and told to get a emissions test you can pay a lot more to replace everything.Just saying Volvo is one of the best trucks out there, do you Volvo would undersize piping etc. to harm or restrict the engine really. If you really want to get rid of you money,I'll give you my address,and I'll tell you how great you and your truck are and any thing else you want.
replyreply
07-01-2018, (Subject: What can be done to help a Volvo breath better..... ) 
I drive a 780 2004 run lite got 8.4 today also has1.4 million on her 2004 isx 450 lots room of course she needs a overhaul
replyreply
07-01-2018, (Subject: What can be done to help a Volvo breath better..... ) 
(11-29-2016 )Marajin Wrote:  
(11-29-2016 )mkmac Wrote:  
(11-28-2016 )mrseas Wrote:  Ok guys here goes....I have a 2005 Volvo with a CM870 and would like some ideas to help the engine and engine compartment "breathe" better. Rawze and others have mentioned the restrictive aspects of the Volvo's engine compartment design in addition to some "engine" related design flaws. All ideas and comments welcomed.

They breath just fine, they intake from both sides of the hood, Next time don't just believe what some says ask for some backup,instead of asking here why ask Volvo what the cfm of the system is then ask prostar then ask any other mfg and compare for yourself....

Test driven and tuned a LOT of trucks.

Compared to other ->

Volvo's ARE more restrictive intake.

Run hotter under the hood because of less ambient air flow.

Have more restrictive exhaust. Other say it look like toilet bowl that traps heat.

If a custom tuner don't see these problems and can't tell it during test drive and dyno, then you are doing something wrong.

=======================

I see guys reduce turbo temps by 100- 150 degrees + increase fuel mileage simply because they remove that "Toilet-Bowl" -looking bad design exhaust crap under passenger side.

Seen guys reduce average turbo/exhaust manifold temps by 75 degrees cutting away the side-walls of that tire-hugging plastic junk that restricts air from coming up around the outside of the engine on passenger side.

Seen guys cut away the rubber seal that surrounds the radiator on the passenger side to reduce turbo temps too.

Speaking of Prostar, - A Prostar even with its pint sized CAC unit is a more fuel efficient than any of the Volvo truck I have test driven. Some brand of trucks come really close if you tune + dial in just right like the Columbia, Cascadia, evolution, T700, T680, but all the tuning in the world cannot make up for exhaust restriction, under-sized intake pipe, and a hotter than normal turbocharger/manifold temps. -> Many throw that same argument against this but i can remove the intake pipe between the CAC and engine then go slide it completely inside the piping of a prostar or cascadia.

Those openings on either side of the hood are not to let air flow around the engine. They are there to direct air to the intake filter only. For anyone to say that they help engine compartment breathe better is someone who has not looked under the hood at where they go. Everything on front end of a Volvo seems to be designed to trap heat for extreme cold climate or something. Maybe do well on the north pole?. -- Even the bumper is designed to "knife" the air flow under the front end down away from the engine compartment instead of cooling the oil pan. Maybe attempt to improve areo?. A trade-off where one gain hurts another.

The heat buildup in passenger side is so bad that many a Volvo truck melt the plastic at the air cleaner when guys turn up the HP on them when they don't take extra step to reduce exhaust temp or improve flow.

So go ahead and brag about how good Volvo trucks are with their restrictive intake/exhaust, their heat-trapping engine compartment and their toothpick-sized drive-shafts. Whole engine compartment looks like it was designed for a 13-litre engine only. Stick a 15-litre cummins in one and it becomes obvious.

No one on the planet is going to convince me of anything else because I have spend huge amounts of time tuning, test drive, dyno, and doing everything possible to squeeze every last drop of efficiency many truck brands. You test drive that many that often and you can just feel the difference right away. -- Those things simply have a slightly less efficient design for an aero truck and I would bet that the maker knows this too.
Mr Marajin,you have just convinced me never to test drive a Volvo, let alone own one!!!

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.