Clutch stuck
11-28-2016, (Subject: Clutch stuck ) 
Clutch stuck
My clutch got stuck today. The pedal got significantly stiffer and was kinda grabbing today. All of a sudden the clutch got stuck. The pedal rebound back up but the clutch was stuck. I was unable to use it to put truck in gear. It does not look like a hydraulic clutch. After a while it let go and was operating normal again but a little stiffer. Any of this ring a bell?
replyreply
RE: Clutch stuck
When was the last time you had the truck lubed? Sounds like they missed the two Zerk fittings on each side of the release shaft on the bellhousing, and they missed the clutch brake one also........if you're mechanically minded, get under your truck with a grease gun and save a few $$$$......

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply
(11-28-2016 )scottydogtruck Wrote:  When was the last time you had the truck lubed? Sounds like they missed the two Zerk fittings on each side of the release shaft on the bellhousing, and they missed the clutch brake one also........if you're mechanically minded, get under your truck with a grease gun and save a few $$$$......

It was just lubed like 200 miles ago but it is very possible those 2 were missed. I was under the truck this morning and the one dangling under the tranny was untouched full of old gunk. Also took the little cover off the tranny at the bottom and it has lots of gunk and metal shavings...
replyreply
Time to R&R the clutch. It may work for a short while now that it threw the bronken chunk (probably spring), but it will not heal itself.
By short while, I mean get pointed towards home. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Get at it, or regret it.
If you're over 600,000 miles, you might wanna really consider doing your flywheel housing gasket and rear motor mounts while you're at it...if you don't and it starts leaking soon, you've gotta pull the tranny and clutch again to fix that.
I get to do this after I shut down for the year! Oh goody, yay me...NOT!!!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
11-29-2016, (Subject: Clutch stuck ) 
(11-28-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  Time to R&R the clutch. It may work for a short while now that it threw the bronken chunk (probably spring), but it will not heal itself.
By short while, I mean get pointed towards home. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Get at it, or regret it.
If you're over 600,000 miles, you might wanna really consider doing your flywheel housing gasket and rear motor mounts while you're at it...if you don't and it starts leaking soon, you've gotta pull the tranny and clutch again to fix that.
I get to do this after I shut down for the year! Oh goody, yay me...NOT!!!

Great info! Thanks. This is getting done tomorrow so I'll have that replaced also.
replyreply
11-29-2016, (Subject: Clutch stuck ) 
(11-29-2016 )CFR__AND_SONS Wrote:  Great info! Thanks. This is getting done tomorrow so I'll have that replaced also.

No problem, if the shop you are having it done at has the rear crank seal puller/installer you may wanna have them do it as well when they're in there. The seal is <$100 and it takes about 1/2hr. If your doing it yourself, and don't have one see if Cummins will rent/lend you theirs or if not ask how much to come do it while the clutch is out.
It's a pretty robust seal, but it's another one of those things you can't fix without dropping the tranny and clutch again...
I did not do mine when I R&R'd my clutch at 480k and at 700k it's still not leaking, but I'm doing it this time for sure.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.