Injector Life Expectancy
11-29-2016, (Subject: Injector Life Expectancy ) 
Smile Injector Life Expectancy
Just looking for some others feedback and thoughts...
I have a CM871.
I have 2 injectors that need replacing.
Engine has 18,500hrs with 1.14m km/708k miles with original injectors.
Engine was inframed 2 1/2yrs - 200k miles ago.

What is the life expectancy of these injectors?
Would you just change the 2, or would you do all 6?
And why?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
RE: Injector Life Expectancy
if it were mine between 750-800k miles i would change em out. they would also NEVER get back in after a inframe. but to me a inframe is alot more than pistons and liners.

the internals start to wear out and you start to get crappy spray patterns. The nozzle wears out and they get drippy and they start to get lower cracking pressure which leads to a inefficient engine and low power etc. Many out there with worn out ones forget how good a truck really can run.
replyreply
Ok, so at what point in miles/kms/hrs do they get to the point where the spray efficiency or internal wear/weakness warrants replacement?

I have read/heard many conflicting ideas on the subject, but none with any real supporting "proof" of their standpoint.

Believe it or not when I asked about this during my inframe, Cummins Saskatoon actually told me "their life expectancy is 'until they quit working!'"

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
I would be one to say there is no real suggested answer due in part that many things contribute to ware. Say one truck guy takes great care of it. Service regular not hard on gas pedal serviced his DPF before the light comes on. THis guy will get a million no problem...
You take the same truck and driver drive the crap out of it. Never has money to fix it. DPF clogged up and he keeps running truck cause he is broke due to not controlling his home spending habit... THis guy will lose injectors around 600K......

Also if you MM it then your chances are even better..

I got one customer has over 1.4 million never did any major work other then run over head and service truck every 15k and DPF filters every 100K miles... Sensors every 150K
replyreply
I played this game. put injectors back in after a overhaul because they said "they either work or they don't, no in between". I heard it from many mechanic's when I was chasing low boost and power. My wife believes what mechanics tell us and not what my friends tell me on the interweb so she wouldn't let me buy new ones. So I did what any honest husband would do..........

I WENT AND DID IT BEHIND HER BACK

Yup, I was right. with 1.6 million km on them, they worked but not good. boy did that truck come alive. BOY DID THE WIFE YELL AT ME ANYWAYS!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
Well, I wouldn't say I "abused" my truck.
As there was no education or recommendations from either Cummins or KW as to the care and attention the aftertreatment system requires, then yes I did neglect that due to my own ignorance. I went to the local Cummins dealer before this truck came in to talk to them about the a/t system as I knew absolutely nothing about it, and they told me "Just drive it like you have every other truck you've owned, and bake your DPF every 3-4000hrs." So I did. Feel pretty stupid about it, but also kinda pissed considering I went to what I thought was the correct source to learn about it in the first place, only to be let down.
I did have the DPF baked at the recommended intervals, and replaced it when I got to the third interval, but of course I never completed an "EGR tune-up".
If only I'd have known then what I know now...
I had the mandate removed at 460k and inframed at 490k, but it wasn't MM, once again out of my own lack of knowledge. Then I found some of Rawze's old posts on TTR and started doing my research from there. Tune was changed to MM about 650k.

I don't "abuse" my truck, but I definitely work it. This truck has never done anything other than heavy haul, 7axle 130k lbs gross for its first 14months, then 9axle ~150-190k lbs gross since. I know by the atypical freight haulers standards this would be considered abuse, but it's all in how you operate it.

replyreply
BTW, I am dropping in a 6 pack when I pull them to do the v/g seals as part of my planned shut down at year end. Just looking to see others opinions/knowledge on the subject.

replyreply
(11-29-2016 )Brock Wrote:  I played this game. put injectors back in after a overhaul because they said "they either work or they don't, no in between". I heard it from many mechanic's when I was chasing low boost and power. My wife believes what mechanics tell us and not what my friends tell me on the interweb so she wouldn't let me buy new ones. So I did what any honest husband would do..........

I WENT AND DID IT BEHIND HER BACK

Yup, I was right. with 1.6 million km on them, they worked but not good. boy did that truck come alive. BOY DID THE WIFE YELL AT ME ANYWAYS!

As my dad use to say , it's easer to ask for forgiveness then it is permission lol
replyreply
11-30-2016, (Subject: Injector Life Expectancy ) 
I still got 3 slightly leaky injectors in my engine with more than a million on them. Truck still breaks 9+. I will change them out first sign of lower fuel mileage or some time next year when I feel like it. I already have enough to claim against my taxes this year so far.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.